• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help: Programming VX-3200U

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinm6

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program a VX-3200U using CE-52E v4.5 I have made sure the com port is correct, but I cannot do anything to the radio and the software acts as if it doesn't even detect the radio. I am using a CT-104 cable, could that be the problem that I need to use a VPL-1 cable instead?

Thanks!

m-gerty

Isn't the VPL-1 the part number for the the whole cable set? And the CT-104 the modular half of the cable.
Is your cable a genuine vertex cable? There are several brands that use the same connector that will not work. What connector does your cable have on the computer end? Is it a DB-9 or USB?
What brand name is your cable?

m-gerty

I'm at work now, so I can't get to the ebay site to check cable. Don't know what version of windows you have, but you'll have to go to:
system ;
hardware ;
device manager ;
and under "ports-com-lpt" you should see your cable listed as com 1 or some other number. Main point here you need to check to see if your computer recognizes your cable and assigns it a com port number. Then in your radio software you must assign it the same com port number.If you plug it in to a different USB port the next time you use it, it'll change the com port number.
Edit: what I left out is your cable should have come with some driver software, which is usually specific to different windows types (95-98-me 2000-xp-etc..) another thing is some software isn't compatible with 64 bit computers.. Try the above and let us know what happened.

Last edited:

m-gerty

Sounds like bad/wrong cable. In post 3 you said it was an Icom cable. Not really sure if that's compatible with Vertex. At this point I would contact vendor and see about compatibility/replacement ..

m-gerty

The Amazon cable (this is the one I have) requires a serial port on your computer, do you have one?
I also have a cable from Kawamall, it works fine. I have the vertex cable because of the quality, can't go wrong with a factory cable. But it's useless if you don't have the serial port.

edit: my kawamall is for a serial port also, I have not tried their USB cable..

Last edited:

austinm6

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for your help. I do have a serial port, if you say the kawamall serial cable works I'll try that. I'm not planning on reprogramming the radios too often, so I don't want to spend $60 on the factory cable (plus Im cheap :D). I'll order the Kawamall cable and post my results when I get it. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

PACNWDude

I have been using the Kawamall cables for Vertex VX-3200/4200's as well as their Motorola CDM series cables for several years, they work fine.
However, if you have issues with USB to serial converters, I have had good luck with the Keyspan model of USB to DB9 adapter.
At one point I was even able to get a "Universal Motorola" programming cable from them that programmed pretty much everything from Maxtrac mobiles to PR1500 handhelds.....but it was an odd interface with an octopus type of cable connectors.

austinm6

Premium Subscriber
Well the cable worked perfectly thank you for your help! I just have one quick question, What CE version should I use to program my VX-3000U? this is the 3000u with the LCD. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.