WS1040: Help Programming Whistler WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

will36801

Hi Guys,

I am new to the while digital scanner game and in need of some help. I bought a Whistler WS1040 and need help with programming it. I have researched and have come up with nothing that I can understand. Any help would be awesome.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have had the GRE version of that scanner since the year it was released. I prefer the Butel ARC 500 software, and there are other choices available. You will need a cable, and a plain USB will not work. If you decide to go that route, I can send you a sample code plug that will help you build your own.

will36801

Thank you all for the info. I will try to program it later this evening. Hopefully with any luck I'll get it. Analog isn't a problem. I could program those all day. These new digital scanners seem like they require a degree from MIT or something. lol

RDGDigital

Hi Guys,

I am new to the while digital scanner game and in need of some help. I bought a Whistler WS1040 and need help with programming it. I have researched and have come up with nothing that I can understand. Any help would be awesome.

Everyone has given you some good advise to your question about how to program the WS1040. But, before you go too far with that information, I wanted to make you aware that if you're wanting to listen to public service departments in your location, this scanner may not work for you. Your profile says you're located in Opelika Alabama, and public service departments in that area are on the Alabama First Responder Network, which is a Project 25 Phase II system. The WS1040 may not be able to monitor channels on this system.

You can find a list of scanners that will support a Project 25 Phase II system in the RR Wiki at...

APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

Sorry to be the one to bring you bad news. Hope this helps explains and helps move you in the right direction.

I have had the GRE version of that scanner since the year it was released. I prefer the Butel ARC 500 software, and there are other choices available. You will need a cable, and a plain USB will not work. If you decide to go that route, I can send you a sample code plug that will help you build your own.

Unless somethings changed that I'm not aware of, the Whistler WS1040 (and the WS1065) already come with the correct PC/IF cable. I thought that the GRE version did also, with only the Radio Shack versions not including the cable.

will36801

That is true. I spoke with the IT department with whom I bought the scanner from. He told me that the department I'm looking to pick up is just digital and I can monitor them. I'm trying to pick up Opelika PD, LCSO and Auburn PD. Opelika is under the AFRN by what I've read here. But the guy looked it up somewhere here on the website that OPD is digital and the scanner will pick them up. However I needed Russell County SO and Phenix City PD. However he told me that the are encrypted and there is not a scanner out there that would pick them up. Any help I can get would be helpful.

Thanks,

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.