HELP-pulling my hair out here ! bcd396xt issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldielox

Hello !
I hail from the police scanner era of...analog. Buy it, type freq. into it, and enjoy.
I just bought this BCD396XT--was told it is top of the line. In my opinion--it is going to be on top of the trash heap soon--if I can not figure it out. Arrrggghhh !

I SIMPLY want to turn it on and listen to the Kansas area, or other states I am in at the time. OK?
well when I turn mine on...it shows Alaska !!! Hellooooo ! I can NOT for the life of me get it to stay on Kansas !

I have read tutorials all over this worldwide web and not ONE article explains that little Important info for me. I have lost countless HOURS reading and searching-until the legs go numb from sitting ! I have a life outside of this scanner !!!!! I MISS the old scanner, but our area went digital., and I have almost gone LOCO -LOL.

Now, mind you I can rip through any type of computer with a breeze--PC geek here:), but this new type of scanner has me befuddled--to say the least.

I have other questions as well, that may fall by the wayside once I get this one issue ironed out.

Thank you for your time,
Regards, Goldielox.

kf4uuz

I feel you should move this to the Uniden Scanners forum. You will get a fast accurate answer to this type of question there. HTH.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What you are hearing are the pre-programmed quick keys, which has data for various systems. Unfortunately some of that data is out of date, so what most folks do is dump it and program it themselves. But we're getting ahead of ourselves...

This is not a plug and play radio. Uniden's Home Patrol is much closer, I think, to that than any of the XT handhelds. This takes a fair amount of study - in your case, you would want to punch in the number of the unwanted quick key as it is scanning, and as there are quite a number of these, I suspect that you would tire of that very quickly.

Anything I'm about to mention (with one exception) can be found at this wiki article (links are always blue)...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Your first task is to download the Easier to Read manual for the 396XT (or buy the printed Scanner Master version). Click on the preprogrammed systems link and it will take you to the bottom of the page where they're all listed. I'd spend some time reading this before going further.

Next, you will need a USB-serial cable to connect the PC and scanner. The Connecting scanners via USB article describes this in some detail; there are many COTS versions that are known to work. Be sure to configure the port on the scanner - the Easier to Read manual will tell you about this

Software is the next item to think about. Go to the Uniden DMA Software Support article and see what you would like to use (ARC-XT, ProScan or FreeScan). FreeScan is, as its name implies, freeware and lots of folks use that - and as a starting point, and you can migrate to something else later. The user guide is in our wiki, and that's linked in the Programming article.

Now for data - what many folks do is build profiles for each of the area(s) they travel to and load them up as they go, then use Location Based Scanning to let a GPS lock and unlock data as they go. While the Easier to Read manual has some good information on it, our Uniden DMA FAQ has an extensive explanation of this capability. The DMA FAQ has a good deal of information that the Easier to Read manual doesn't.

You can get data in a number of ways. Get a subscription and you can download data from our database. Or go to the Kansas forum and ask for a file. Be aware that FreeScan can import data directly from BuTel software or the old Uniden UASD (Uniden Advanced System Director). We have a forum for each state.

There's lots to read up on here - get comfortable, grab your favorite beveridge - you're going to be here awhile.

HTH...Mike

Goldielox

Thank you !

Thank you both for taking the time to help. It is appreciated :)-- I feel the answers given were very helpful for pointing me in the right direction.
Have a blessed day, Goldielox.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I'm sorry I did not see this earlier, as I think part of the problem is the consistent move to trunking radio systems. You didn't mention where you were in KS, so specific help can not be given to your exact situation; however, in case the whole trunking radio system situation is a bit confusing, may I suggest you read Trunking Basics in our RR Wiki. Then you can move on to more detailed trunking matters. This should be helpful with the statewide KSICS being implemented.

Goldielox

Hey Lou--thank you also.

I am in Hutchinson,Ks. My old scanner was a 25 channel analog--whoa ! have things changed.

I bought this 396XT w/out the pc cable--which is on order as of today. Hope that helps me get things figured out better.

I am no "pro" at this scanner stuff, just knew our town was going digital(sold all 3 analogs) and love to have a scanner going 24/7. take it with me everywhere. I like to be able to stay on top of things going on., must be that old dream of wanting to be a private investigator.

However, I had NO idea what a hornets nest I was getting into, BUT, I am not a quitter, I will prevail, once I can crawl out from under this library full of info on how to operate it., and hopefully I will not have to have a pilots license to fly it :)

This website and the letters and stories are very helpful for a novice like me.

I hope this letter comes through-as I tried a "quick reply" before and it would not go through. so sorry in advance if there are 2 letters for this one reply.

Have a great day, ~~G~~

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well, no, there were not two replies.

As for what you are going to need, Reno Co., according to the DB, uses the KSICS (previously linked) for Sheriff, Fire & EMS. It also appears that Hutchinson PD and at least the Fire admin use the state system also. Hutchinson has a site on the system so reception should work pretty well, all you have to do is get it programmed in there along with the talk groups you want. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.