• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey people i have to design a highly directive antenna for a direction finding device operating in the 100 to 500 MHz band, can u plz help me out on this.

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
What you need is a yagi. There is a ton of stuff out there via google that can get you started.

Al42

A Yagi that's directional over a 5:1 frequency range? Yagi's turning over in his grave. To maintain directivity the antenna must maintain spacing and element length - in wavelengths - and that's not possible over that great a range.

chandramanikumar, what does "have to design" mean? A class assignment? A job requirement?

prcguy

Directional antennas in the general sense are not the usual antenna for direction finding. Antennas that null are used for greater precision in determining the direction. A log Periodic can easily be designed to cover the range you desire but even a high gain version will still have a beamwidth that is too wide for determining a precise bearing.
prcguy

SCPD

chandramanikumar said:
hey people i have to design a highly directive antenna for a direction finding device operating in the 100 to 500 MHz band, can u plz help me out on this.
Have you considered a switched antenna array? This may have the same wavelenghth geometry issues as other types. RF switch cycles through the antennas to an FM receiver - which compares the phases differences. I think Ramsey even has a kit for this.

I'm also wondering if something like an ADF could be made to work in the range - goniometer plus loop and sense antennas.

-rick

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
Al42 said:
A Yagi that's directional over a 5:1 frequency range? Yagi's turning over in his grave. To maintain directivity the antenna must maintain spacing and element length - in wavelengths - and that's not possible over that great a range.
:)

The OP specifically asked for a "highly directive antenna". And since one cannot have directivity *and* bandwidth, correct me if I am wrong, that only leaves yagi's, L/P, dishes, et al types of antennas.

I also assumed he really did not know what he was asking for :wink: , and would narrow/lower his DF expectations after doing some research on google about yagi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.