Help Scanning for Metro Nashville Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiebauer86

I was wondering if anyone knows any special trick to scanning metro police? I recently moved from Arkansas and I had no problem programming my scanner to recieve motorola type II system. Ive programmed all the frequencies and the talk groups, just as I did in arkansas, but the only thing I get is data sounds. Ive never been able to recieve one radio transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don

ctrabs74

eddiebauer86 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows any special trick to scanning metro police? I recently moved from Arkansas and I had no problem programming my scanner to recieve motorola type II system. Ive programmed all the frequencies and the talk groups, just as I did in arkansas, but the only thing I get is data sounds.

The Nashville/Davidson County TRS is almost exclusively digital (though, according to the database, there are a few analog channels listed). Unless you have a digital capable scanner (ie. Pro-96/2096, Bearcat 396/996, etc), you won't be able to monitor Nashville effectively...

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=428

FWIW, I also found out the hard way trying to monitor Philadelphia's TRS when I used to have a Pro-95. Now that I have a 396, I can pick up Philly (at least when I'm travelling there).

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you will need a digital scanner to monitor Metro Nashville. There is a Radio Shack dealer, Brink's Electronics on Gallatin Road in Nashville, that carries both Radio Shack and Uniden Scanners that are already programmed for the Nashville TRS and surrounding areas.

eddiebauer86

I have a Uniden Bearcat 245XLT, and its a couple of years old, so im going to assume that its not digital. Thanks for the help guys.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Your right the 245xlt is not digital. Your scanners of choice would be:
Radio Shack:
Pro-96
Pro-2096

Uniden:
BC-796D
BC-296D
BCD-396T
BCD-996T

And if you can find the older BC-250D and 785D along with a digital card then those will work. Nashville is on a 3600 baud (bites per second) system so all scanners mentioned including the older ones will work. But the ones minus the 250 and 785D will also do the 9600 baud systems. So yes you do need a digital capable scanner here for the Metro system or all you will get is a buzzing (data) sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.