help scanning state patrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Im going to be driving across colorado, spending time in the denver area, and the Ouray area in a couple weeks. I've got the talk groups and everything, but how do I narrow down which frequencies I need to program? The database shows about 23984027 frequencies for the DTRS, and I have NO clue which one's to use. I would like to be able to listen to CSP continuously once I enter CO.

Any help is appreciated. This radio system is SO huge, I'm not used to dealing with statewide systems that are this big. Thanks

-Ben KC0JAR

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
I THINK I figured it out. Basically, If i wanted to listen continuously to CSP, I would have to put in the trunked frequencies for each individual tower site that is along my driving path, and put each tower site in a different bank (pro2096)? That kinda sucks, that would take up 20-30 banks and alot of time to program! Any easier way, or am I stuck with listening to CSP in the areas I'm spending the most time to make it worth programming?

rckydenver

Just to give you example in my 2096/96 i have two CC programed in site 105 freq of 868.9750 and the other is site 108 freq of 868.7750. Site 105 on my radio is alittle stronger than the 108 site. Here in Arvada with the stock antenna i've heard C.Springs,FtCollins, even LaJunta showed up on the radio.. There also other users here that have more CC programed into there radios.

RISC777

868.8375 is one I would try if it were me just to try and see . . .

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
RISC777 said:
868.8375 is one I would try if it were me just to try and see . . .

I would recommend against trying site 164 since that is a control channel CSP is blocked from and the gentleman asked specifically about monitoring state patrol.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
kc0jar said:
Im going to be driving across colorado, spending time in the denver area, and the Ouray area in a couple weeks. I've got the talk groups and everything, but how do I narrow down which frequencies I need to program? The database shows about 23984027 frequencies for the DTRS, and I have NO clue which one's to use. I would like to be able to listen to CSP continuously once I enter CO.

Any help is appreciated. This radio system is SO huge, I'm not used to dealing with statewide systems that are this big. Thanks

-Ben KC0JAR

What part of Denver area specifically because the City and County of Denver is not covered by the state patrol, and Ouray"little switzerland" CSP still uses VHF primarily in that area.

Jim<

RISC777

jimmnn said:
I would recommend against trying site 164 since that is a control channel CSP is blocked from and the gentleman asked specifically about monitoring state patrol.

Jim<
Thanks, Jim.

MIssed that one. I mentioned it since I use that one from north-ish Denver metro to listen to JeffCo across to Metcom/Douglas.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
RISC777 said:
Thanks, Jim.

MIssed that one. I mentioned it since I use that one from north-ish Denver metro to listen to JeffCo across to Metcom/Douglas.

Indeed it's good for that, but don't forget Smoky Hill, Castle Rock, Golden, Thorodin to acheive better coverage, logged Franktown today just to be sure and it's still very quiet.

Jim<

RISC777

Jiim,

I use Thorodin and Lookout Mtn (and Smokey Hill at times). Franktown's a bit south for me, and I don't travel south too often any more. Used to go to the Springs a Lot when my boys were playing hockey.

What site #s are Castle Rock and Golden?

Thanks,
-Doug

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
RISC777 said:
Jiim,

I use Thorodin and Lookout Mtn (and Smokey Hill at times). Franktown's a bit south for me, and I don't travel south too often any more. Used to go to the Springs a Lot when my boys were playing hockey.

What site #s are Castle Rock and Golden?

Thanks,
-Doug

Castle Rock is 103 and Lookout Mtn (Golden) is 108.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.