Help setting up 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcanha

Premium Subscriber
Okay so I guess the people who came up with 'new math' also designed the interface for the 396XT. HELP!! This 'should' be easy but dang if I have been able to figure it out. I've tried the supplied manual as well as the one on-line. I'd like to be able to shut off talk groups or complete systems. The programming software allows me to set systems to the system numbers (0-99) for conventional systems but not trunked systems. So how do I lock out or shut off a trunked system??

Also when I turn on the scanner all 40 conventional systems that are programmed into the scanner are turned on. Is it possible to set the scanner so that say only systems 0 1 4 and 8 are live and the rest are off unless I turn them on? Going through and shutting off 30 systems every time I turn on the scanner is a PIA.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Many scanning functions in a DMA radio are controlled by quick keys. You can turn on or off systems, sites and groups by understanding how these interact with one another.

It would help to know what software you are trying to use ... there are really 3 main players with the XT scanners - FreeScan, ARC-XT and ProScan. The first one is free, the other 2 have trial periods before you buy. Our wiki houses the FreeScan user guide, and it has a pretty decent article on how to use that software with the concept of quick keys (if that's the software you are trying to use). Our FAQ also has one on the subject...links (always blue) are below...

Freescan and Quick Key Processing - The RadioReference Wiki

Systems, Sites and Groups - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden Multi-Site Trunking - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH

Mike

ericcanha

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I am using ARC-XT a quick example of what/how it is currently setup

01 County A
A_town q1
B_town q2
C_town q3
D_town q4

02 County B
A_town q1
B_town q2
etc etc etc
03 National something
Region 1 q1
Region 2 q2

State Truck System
PD Region 1 q1
PD Region 2 q2
FD Region 1 q3
FD Region 2 q4
EMA q5

So when I turn on the scanner all the systems are 'on'. In reality only 3 or 4 are of value unless something is going on. and I have yet to figure out how to lock out that state trunk system.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That state system should have its own quick key for each site. In this case I assume there's only one site - so just pressing that key while in scan mode will disable it as long as that site's quick key is unique from the other quick keys that are already defined. Please read what you've been given - it's important to understand how quick keys interact with one another. Mike

ericcanha

Premium Subscriber
Okay let me ask a simple question.... How do I set it up so that only SOME of the 0-99 systems are active (on) when the unit is powered up. Right now when I turn on the scanner all 99 systems are 'on'. I've tried setting the lockout on in ARC-XT but that doesn't seem to keep those systems off when the scanner is first turned on.

teufler

It looks like you have the same quick key assigned to multiple systems. I have a 396xt and when I turn off system quick keys, then power down, then power up, they are still off. The only things that comes back on are lock outs that I have not double keyed. You seem to be tracking 12 systems, why not put each under a quick key so you are 1-12. That should work.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes, this is terribly confusing to new folks. The good news is that the more you tinker with this stuff, it will eventually sink in.

As noted above, system quick keys are associated with systems for conventional "stuff". On trunked systems, those quick keys are associated with sites, rather than the system itself.

One thing to add for your statewide system. You may consider assigning one quick key to sites that are within range of your home and a different quick key to sites farther away.

That way you can lock out the "un-hearable" sites while at home, but if you are traveling, you can unlock those in an attempt to monitor them. This might improve scanning efficiency a tad.

ericcanha

Premium Subscriber
So herein lies some of the confusion. I have each 'system' assigned to a DIFFERENT quick key (0-99) with no two being assigned to the same quick key. Within system 1 i have 4 different group keys (0-9) assigned with some groups having the same group key.

Is there a way to have only a selected number of SYSTEMS be active when the scanner is powered on and all the rest in an 'off' state until/unless I chose to turn them on?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is a way to do that using Startup Keys. But, these affect the Avoid status (not the QK status).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to have only a selected number of SYSTEMS be active when the scanner is powered on and all the rest in an 'off' state until/unless I chose to turn them on?

What Upman said is about your only option for the x96XT series scanners.

The newer models (x36HP) have the ability to set Quick Keys on or off by default, using the Sentinel programming. I really like that option, but I'm afraid it's not much help to you. However, turning system quick keys on or off involves fewer button presses on the XTs than the HPs, so that's an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.