• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help setting up simple GPS tracking using SmartPTT

ogg373

Greetings,
Iam a new member to the forum and i need help setting up a very simple GPS tracking application using SmartPTT, i have tried looking in their official documentaion but it's super lengthy and it does not give out instructions in a sequential manner, so iam a bit lost on how to proceed. i couldnt find any third party tutorial or video explaining it, so i'm hoping some of you can help me.
Iam using an SLR550 repeater connected via ethernet, and a DP4801e that is equipped with a GPS.
I have already configured the codeplugs for the radios just like their tutorials which was simple, but when it comes to configuring the PC application, im totally lost.
i stopped in their tutorial in the section "4.5.2 Location with Option Boards" because im sure that not all the 300 pages of configuration are required to just view the location of the radio on a map. so if anyone has worked with this software before, please let me know how to set it up.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Their tech support is great. I have set up SmartPTT and TRBONet but not without help from them.

ogg373

thanks for the reply,
okay, I will contact their tech support, but can you just give me some hints on the overall steps i need to take, I should start by configuring the radio server right, and then what ?

Firebuff880

Don't use the Russian software no matter what MSI says they have done with the ownership paperwork --

There are any number of great US offerings that can give you GPS..

GPS on MOTOTRBO is a combination of firmware M2021.02 or latter for some of the inBand options, System Configurations, AKA Data Revert repeaters for the more traditional periodic reporting, and subscriber code plug configurations for all options. Lastly, the application has to send the LRRP reporting / enabling instructions to the subscriber before it will send back anything regardless of everything else.

We track hundreds of subscribers on Ski resorts across the US everyday, and the system is very reliable once built and installed correctly.

----------------------

1681353216192.png

ogg373

thanks for the reply Firebuff880, I did not know they were a Russian company, i thought they were American, but oh well.
what do you recommend as an alternative that is easier to setup and use with clear documentation that doesn't require contacting tech support for everything. what software do you guys use in the ski resort for example?

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber
TRBOnet is a very good product, support is excellent. We have 6500+ radios on the system, hundreds of talkgroups on the console, 45+ active consoles running, at any one point, including Public Safety. No regrets.

Firebuff880

I disagree with @Trbogeek, I have customers who have had to deal with support for both of these products and have been very frustrated.

But again, with out knowing the scope of the project and budget it's hard to say what the right fit might be --

Do you what to track 7, 70, 700 or 7000 subscribers.
Do you want Location on PTT, or Emergency or Periodic basis or a combination of all of these ?
Do you have a Wireline License for your infrastructure, Tier II W/DDMS & MNIS or Tier III & MNIS or will you be Control Station Based ?
Do you want to feed Esri, QGIS, TRaccar or a Simple Google Mapping solution ?
Are you looking for last know location, Location on Emergency, bread crumbs, Geo Fencing entry/exit Real Time notifications and / or GeoPoint based Events. (AKA: a gate Opening) ?
Are you mixing solutions, maybe an asset based IoT tracking application with the Subscriber data ?
Do you need iBeacon as well as GPS data from the Subscribers ?

These are just some of the many considerations you might think about.
-----

PS: Two other options to possibly consider that I think are both Control Station based.
TransTRBO - MOTOTRBO Lightweight Radio Dispatch Console
Welcome to Omnitronics

Trbogeek

Premium Subscriber
I disagree with @Trbogeek, I have customers who have had to deal with support for both of these products and have been very frustrated.

But again, with out knowing the scope of the project and budget it's hard to say what the right fit might be --

Do you what to track 7, 70, 700 or 7000 subscribers.
Do you want Location on PTT, or Emergency or Periodic basis or a combination of all of these ?
Do you have a Wireline License for your infrastructure, Tier II W/DDMS & MNIS or Tier III & MNIS or will you be Control Station Based ?
Do you want to feed Esri, QGIS, TRaccar or a Simple Google Mapping solution ?
Are you looking for last know location, Location on Emergency, bread crumbs, Geo Fencing entry/exit Real Time notifications and / or GeoPoint based Events. (AKA: a gate Opening) ?
Are you mixing solutions, maybe an asset based IoT tracking application with the Subscriber data ?
Do you need iBeacon as well as GPS data from the Subscribers ?

These are just some of the many considerations you might think about.
-----

PS: Two other options to possibly consider that I think are both Control Station based.
TransTRBO - MOTOTRBO Lightweight Radio Dispatch Console
Welcome to Omnitronics
We have been using TRBOnet, since 2017, has been our go to solution, with many systems sold. Neocom has implemented, many of our feature requests, and continues to support, as needed. We host two large systems, ourselves, with several PSAP on them, including one complete city (PD, Fire, DPW, school district), with absolute 100% satisfaction. It would be difficult to sell, support, many different console solutions, and be good at them all, likely none of them.

Whatever solution you choose, understand none of them work perfectly, out of the box. You'll have things to work through, network, choice of mics, speakers, external resources, even subscriber configurations. Nother worth having is typically easy.

ogg373

thank you all for the replies, i don't mind what software i use as long as it has clear publicly available documentation, it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, just something that might permit me to receive location data for a small demo.

gatalec

ogg773, if you are still looking for it, this is the solution for you: eztracker@trbo. The brochure is old, but the software is current.

Great support too. Works with either control station(s) and wireline (data NAI).