Help - SETX/Beaumont & Uniden BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

81buckeye

Imported and downloaded frequency database directly from Radio Reference db into the Uniden BCD396XT using FreeScan, and zilch. I have another scanner (old analog) sitting next to the Uniden and the Uniden just scans all day and has picked up one conventional analog signal. There is traffic but this scanner never seems to pick anything up. The obvious, the squelch is turned down very low, just to ensure it doesn't stop on any noise, and the volume is turned up. I have spent three days messing with this thing trying to determine if it is the radio or me. This is a new radio with the current firmware. I reset the radio to wipe out the pre-loaded frequencies and downloaded only the stuff in my area. I am on the verge of just sending it back.....and either send me another one or buy a different one all together. Primary interest is the rebanded Jefferson County Regional Radio System, and imported directly, so don't know what I could be doing wrong. Thoughts, comments, anything is appreciated at this point.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Try tunning to the NOAA Weather channel to see if it will recieve. Also check to see if it is recieving the control channel. While scanning a trunked system you should see the control channel displayed on the bottom with the signal strength meter on top. I never used FreeScan, but also check to see if the mode is set correctly. (Anolog or Digital). What are you using for an antenna? I one time found the guts from my SMA to BNC adapter had fallen out. Took me 2 days of listening to nothing to figured it out.

81buckeye

SETX/Beaumont & Uniden BCD396XT

Yes if I directly enter a frequency, it will receive Wx if I enter directly. But even though I have the same conventional channels configured as I do on an existing analog scanner, the Uniden will not pickup the transmissions, seems to just scan forever. As far as the trunking systems, I have not received any transmissions, even though you can see the signal strength meter indicate that transmissions are present as it scans thru the system. The antenna is the one that came with the radio, although I did swap with another scanner just to make sure that was not the issue.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
These are the Ctrl Ch. I have in my scanner for the Beaumont Simulcast Site the last two times I went and it worked fine.

Let me know if it works, I was just over there Wednesday for the Beaumont Police Officer's funeral. My scanner was working so well I had to turn it off. Too much talking lol, I had enough going on without trying to listen to the many different agencies trying to coordinate the procession.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
These are the Ctrl Ch. I have in my scanner for the Beaumont Simulcast Site the last two times I went and it worked fine.

Let me know if it works, I was just over there Wednesday for the Beaumont Police Officer's funeral. My scanner was working so well I had to turn it off. Too much talking lol, I had enough going on without trying to listen to the many different agencies trying to coordinate the procession.
The first four frequencies you have shown (I marked them as bold) are no longer showing in the database. The 868mhz frequencies should have been replaced by 853mhz ones during the rebanding process. The 860 frequency is no longer shown either. However, this would not be the first time a system was using an unlicensed frequency.

Yes if I directly enter a frequency, it will receive Wx if I enter directly. But even though I have the same conventional channels configured as I do on an existing analog scanner, the Uniden will not pickup the transmissions, seems to just scan forever. As far as the trunking systems, I have not received any transmissions, even though you can see the signal strength meter indicate that transmissions are present as it scans thru the system. The antenna is the one that came with the radio, although I did swap with another scanner just to make sure that was not the issue.
buckeye, I'd say try adding those frequencies (the ones you don't have) to the site. You could also try re-importing the system, and instead of selecting "control channel only" for the import, pull all of the frequencies. I have a felling that your system is missing the active control channel, for whatever reason.

Also, you might post your FreeScan file to this thread, & see if somebody spots anything. Occasionally, something gets overlooked. We've all done that one time or another.
Since the FreeScan file extension (*.996) is not an allowable attachment, you'll need to either zip it with Winzip, or another utility, in order to attach it, or rename the file. Example: If your file was named "Beaumont.996" (without the quotes, of course), then rename it as Beaumont.996.txt. You can attach a file with a *.txt file extension to a post.

81buckeye

response

I entered those frequencies, but no change. what does your custoim band plan look like? thanks for help, I was missing four of those frequencies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
buckeye:
I am fairly certain that the way the DB has the Jeff Co. system is correct. I do have one question about it but it deals with only the Silsbee site.

The band plan for the simulcast and Bragg sites should be marked as rebanded (that is the question I have on the Silsbee site BTW) and hence should look like the below screen shot. I do know that the frequencies for the simulcast and the rebanded band plan work although I don't have a 396XT. I did use a PSR-800 & an HP-1 just last month passing through there and had no problem picking up both digital and analog transmissions on the system, since both of those radios use the RR Database as it exists, obviously the DB has the right information. I do have a 396T that travels with me also, but I forgot (in my rush to get stuff ready) to reprogram the Jeff Co. system in it so I can't verify that the download from FreeScan will set it up correctly, but looking at the way it downloads and comparing it to the GRE EZScan setup, it appears to be right.

Last edited:

giant22000

I am fairly certain that the way the DB has the Jeff Co. system is correct.

I can confirm that the DB is absolutely correct for Jefferson Co. and continuous Co's. I've recently got into scanning and been listening a couple months now.

Have you had any luck yet?

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
858.7375 is in use as a control channel on the Simulcast site right now. I would venture a guess that two more remain to be discovered.

I hate to say it, but have you tried manually programming a system and site yet? I use a 396XT when I'm out that way, and what I usually do is program the Simulcast site in ID Search mode, lock out the public works talkgroups as they appear, and let it roam. A lot of Beaumont PD has yet to be documented, along with the former ShareNet users (Port Arthur, Port Neches, Groves, etc.) and I would hazard a guess that some of Beaumont FD is incorrect.

81buckeye

No luck, I can configure all of the frequencies as conventional site and hear the traffic, so not sure why downloading the trunking setup does not work. If anyone has the Beaumont Site setup that is working on a Uniden BCD396XT, would appreciate if you could create file of your system in either FreeScan or Arc XT format. I could import into my scanner to see if it works.

giant22000

No luck, I can configure all of the frequencies as conventional site and hear the traffic, so not sure why downloading the trunking setup does not work. If anyone has the Beaumont Site setup that is working on a Uniden BCD396XT, would appreciate if you could create file of your system in either FreeScan or Arc XT format. I could import into my scanner to see if it works.

I do not have a uniden nor have I used freescan as I use win500 for my pro-106, I'll have some free time tonight and I'll see if I can import my configuration into freescan. Don't give up, once get it working you'll be addicted to scanning

!

giant22000

Okay, this is something that I put together quickly. Like I said before, I don't own any Uniden Scanner's nor have I used freescan before, but I assume the generalities apply for RS and U. Having said that, if anybody feels improvements can be made to this file, by all means, please do so... BTW, this contains DPS, Beaumont PD (analog and digital), Beaumont Fire/EMS and Jefferson Co Sheriff's Dept.

PS. I set the quick keys as I would set the scan lists for my pro-106. I was assuming Uniden quick keys are similar to RS scan lists.

Rename this file and remove the .txt only from the end of the file name. Then load to scanner and this should work for you.

If having trouble renaming the file, you might have to turn on display file extensions.

Do this for Windows 7:

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, choose:

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

Attachments

• Beaumont.996.txt
    31.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

81buckeye

Response - the end is near and a new beginning

Giant22000 and all others who have offered suggestions, I have used your advice and tried your files. No luck, after talking with the Uniden tech support, they agreed there was an issue with the radio. I have just returned from dropping off the radio at the UPS, and will await another. Have to believe it will be better next time around.......I spent numerous hours thinking I may have overlooked something, but the advice I have received, only confirmed that I was out of ideas. Strange failure in that it would receive conventional sites, but would not receive any sites set up as trunking........can explain it, but am hoping for better results with the next unit. It can't be that complicated and I have learned a lot from the research and the input of ya'll.
Thanks. Will post an update on success/failure of the new scanner when I receive it.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Buckeye, sorry that it appeared you got a problem radio. It occurred to me (late and useless at this time) that checking it on another trunking system might have been a useful test.

Keep us in the loop on this thread when you get it back.

81buckeye

Piece of Cake

Submitted request to return yesterday (Friday) at 4:30pm, dropped it off at UPS by 5:15pm. Another radio was at my door today by noon today!!. Downloaded the databases I wanted via RR db, and was up in running in a matter of minutes. Really easy when the radio works. Bizarre failure since it "seemed" like it was working, but never would stop scanning on a trunked system. Makes me sick to think a spent the majority of the past weekend messing with it thinking I was the problem and doing something wrong. Anyway I am a happy camper now-radio is working as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.