HELP this makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I'm sure I should put in more. my zip code is 68048. if we turn the scanner off during the night then it will should all the states again when we turn it back on. right?

No. If you go into the program menu and scroll to the unwanted system ( such as Alaska, or Ohio, or New York or whichever one you don't want) then go to options and when it asks you if you want to lock out, press yes. Then when you turn on the scanner that system will not show up again until you unlock it.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
OK. To find other freqs for your area, do this:

At the top of the RR page under the Radio Reference logo, there is a dark blue line running across the page. The second box is marked Database. Put your cursor on that box and then a drop down list will appear. This contains two items. The first is Frequency Database and the second is Amateur Radio Database. Now click on Frequency DB and a map of the U.S. will appear. Click on the state of NE and it will open up all the counties. Find yours and the listing will show all types of agencies with the freqs and PLs if needed, for your locality.

Then go back to the "easier to read manual for the 396XT and follow the instructions on programing a new system (conventional) and then we will continue from there.

I have to retire now - I go into work at 3 AM - lots of aircraft need to be fueled and that's my job. So, I'll be back on tomorrow afternoon and we can continue then.

Russell

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok I paid for a premium subscription thru this website, I have the cable, I downloaded the freescan and built my file.
Now I have an error on my computer when I go to upload the info to the scanner.

It says, FreeSCAN is unable to access COM1. Check the settings and try again.

HELP PLEASE
In FreeSCAN, with the cable connected to both the pc & the scanner:
Click on "Virtual Control". That's the small 'scanner' icon on the farthest right of the three at the top of the window, under the "Help" menu.
When the 'Virtual Control' pop-up appears, click on "COM Port Setup".
At the next window that brings up, click on the "Start Auto" on the lower left.

That will prompt FreeSCAN to locate which COM port your cable is using and identify the scanner. Be sure that the drivers were loaded, as Mike has already indicated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
it says start virtual, setup, comport and close. it doesn't say com port setup
Setup is the button between Setup Recording and Close. On the version of FreeSCAN I have, it does say COM Port Setup on that button.

kmnewburn

Premium Subscriber
still lost

Ok this morning i put the CD in my computer that came with the cable I bought. Duh on my part. I put in all the info again because my computer would not opened up what I saved. So I started over, got everything entered, plug in the scanner to the cable and it showed 13 errors and this message:

Critical error, invalid response code or insufficient resources, aborting channel programming.

WTH. I am so ready to return this and find a very simple digital scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are a couple of possibilities here...the errors are often caused by an incompatible match between the speed of the data from the USB to the scanner. The scanner's port also has to be set up using some menu selections - and they're detailed in the Freescan User guide here...

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

Now the insufficient resources issue can be twofold - you should always start off by dumping the entire contents of the scanner, then when you do your first upload, use the ERASE option. Don't add or replace quite yet. This insures that you start with a clean slate. Doing several ADDs when you really want to REPLACE can also cause this issue eventually.

The other possibility is that you've exceeded the number of channels, talkgroups, ect. the scanner can hold either in one system, or in the radio as a whole. This is also detailed in the Freescan guide here...

Moving DMA Data to Other Radios in Freescan - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
How can you have 1 group with 4 systems? Something doesn't seem right here.

Each system, thinking conventionally, should have 1 or more groups underneath it. Doing the subtraction, you have 3 systems with no groups.

That doesn't make sense (unless you have 3 systems that are trunked running in ID Search mode, and even then, you need to select at least 1 site). I'm wondering if that's what the message is complaining about.

If you look at the supplied chart, you will see that there are limits to the number of channels per group that you can have.

It would be very helpful to know precisely what it is you're trying to program. I can see you're in Nebraska and in Cass County. Here is our database for that...

Cass County, Nebraska (NE) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Look at the bottom for the trunked systems in your area. Be specific - there are different options for different types of systems

I would suggest making sure the scanner port is set up properly (as documented in the link I gave to you earlier), do a manual clear all, then load up 1 system at a time until you find the one that's causing you grief.

Mike

Last edited:

kmnewburn

Premium Subscriber
Ok it says CNV Cass 1
then below it it says GRP amateur radio 1
then below that it says GRP fire 2
then below that it says GRP law enforcement 3
and last it says GRP misc. 4

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not to sound rude, but...so? What is your question? As long as you have your quick keys set properly, that sounds like it will work...if you didn't get the resources error message, that should be good to go

Next? Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.