HELP this makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That would be one system with 4 groups. It's very important to get these terms correct.

Did you set up the scanner port as I mentioned earlier? That should help clean up the dozen or so errors you reported earlier. Did you do a manual clear (as you power the scanner up, hold the 2, 9 and HOLD keys down. When it asks you whether to reload, hit the ./NO key) before trying to upload?.

Still scratching my head over the critical error issues, unless they are also related to the scanner port not being set up and using a default speed which FreeScan can't handle well....Mike

Last edited:

Blackink

Ok, I think the original OP- kmnewburn, needs to step back, take a few slow deep breaths, and read up on DMA scanners, read up on the FreeScan program that was downloaded, and read up on how to maneuver through this RadioReference Web site and the Wiki in order for the OP to have some idea of what is needed to do all the things she is trying to do..

I just went through and read all the posts here related to this thread and besides the OP not having a clue as to what is needed to program a scanner or how to operate the FreeScan program, it seems there are a few responses here that are wrong in the information they are posting, and it seems the OP is just pushing buttons like there's no tomorrow and not really knowing what she's doing or what will happen when she does start pushing the buttons.

Programming these new Uniden DMA scanners is one of the hardest things to understand how to do, it's hard to learn how to do, and most important, if you think you can just turn the thing on with no knowledge of what is going on and then come in here asking questions and not understanding what the reply's posted are trying to explain to you, you're going to get even more confused.

If you really want to learn how to program this scanner either manually or program it with FreeScan and understand what is going on when you actually do start pushing buttons or start uploading frequencies into the scanner, you need to start here: Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

The above link will take you to a page that you should recognize as "Hey, this sounds like similar problems as I'm having".
When you load up that Web page, scroll down to the part where it says Onto the Real Question and read through that section.
Click on the blue link that says Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki and read through that Web page. When you're done reading that, go back to the Web page that has the Onto the Real Question and scroll down to section #3 where it shows FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software and read through that.

And by all means, read this Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual once, twice, or maybe even three times if that's what it takes to learn the basics of your new scanner.

You need to have some understanding of what is required to program the scanner and what is required to understand the FreeScan software and then maybe you'll have some understanding of the questions folks are asking you and you might understand the suggestions people are posting to you that you should try and do.

You need to do one thing at a time, and the most important thing to understand and to get a grasp of, is what all this new jargon people and the Wiki are throwing at you means

Be patient, slow down a bit and good luck with your new scanner.
It really is fun once you know what to do and how it all works.

kmnewburn

Premium Subscriber
no a guy built me a file and I downloaded to my computer. I can't get the com port to upload it to the scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
no a guy built me a file and I downloaded to my computer. I can't get the com port to upload it to the scanner.

There are 2 possibilities here;

a. Did you get a USB-serial cable and load the drivers? You will also need to go to Windows Device Manager to see if the load process actually allocated a COM port that is available (the process is dumb - sometimes it will try to allocate to a port that's already used by something else). This is all discussed in some detail here...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

b. You must set up the port on the scanner using the various menu functions. These are detailed here

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

c. You can then either let FreeScan find the right port to use, or (better) allocate it yourself. This is also discussed in the above article

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.