Help to a wanna be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachcombersc

Hello all, I have an intrest in purchasing a moble unit to moniter the activities around this part of the state. I am interested in Police, Fire, Coast Guard, Emergency stuff, and at times of evecuation- Info not known to general public...

I have only fooled around with scanners a long time ago/almost twenty years... I need advice to which unit or brand name to get that will be easy/best bang for the buck kind of unit. I have 120v already in the truck, so a base unit is ok. I am so sick of the talk radio that my needs to listen are starving:)

I have a good technical skill but dont want to get too complex with programming and such. I would like to moniter the main channels for just the local areas of Isle of Palms, Mt pleasant, Sulivans Island. MAybe the coast Guard too. I am a big boat owner so I would like to know whats really happening out on the water...

Please just list any units that may be cost effective/ Bang for the buck.

I think I would like to keep it under $150 for now if that makes sense to do.
Just a small hobbie for now...

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I favor the PRO-97/2055 radios from Radio Shack. They sell normally for $199, but seem to be on sale frequenctly for $150. The PRO-97 is a hand-held and the 2055 is a base, but they are functionally identical. These will easily allow you to listen to the things you listed.

For that cost you get quite a few popular features: 1000 channels, CTCSS/DCS, Mot/EDACS/LTR trunking, alpha-tags, and others. In my opinion it's the best value in a scanner price vs. features. And they're available locally at Radio Shack - no shipping costs.

For another $50 or so, you can purchase Win97 from Starrsoft.com and a programming cable from RadioShack and program the radio using your PC. That's almost critical these days.

At this time, you won't be missing much in the Charleston area without a digital scanner (the 97/2055 aren't capable of receiving digital signals). But there isn't too much down that way that is digital - yet. Realize that your scanner may become obsolete sooner than others (with the gradual migration to digital or the effects of 800MHz rebanding), but remember that you're spending less initially for the radio.

Hope that helps.

Brian

beachcombersc

ok, Pro -97 in hand... I also purchased the cable. Do I download the shareware stuff of use the cd that RS supplied?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Wow, that based on one recommendation.

I sure hope you like it.

And yes, Win97 is the way to go, but it's not shareware. Don't use the software with the CD.

Brian

CLB

You can't expect only one scanner to do everything you want it to listen to. The Pro-97 is a good unit, but I'd be willing to bet that this won't be the last scanner you buy in the near future.

Look at it this way, I bought a BC80XLT or something like that several years ago. It could monitor police, but that's about it. Got a BC350C...good, but no trunking and wierd to program. Then came a Pro-95, then another one soon after, then an Icom IC-R3 and a Pro2052. One 95 is mounted in the truck with the R3 close at hand, the BC350 is set to record on a few frequencies, and the 2052 is the "armchair" scanner. The other 95 is the "bedtime" scanner that I listen to with headphones so I don't disturb the wifey.

BUT....it's all in what makes you happy. My father has a Pro-95 with just 2 banks used that he's had for 2 years, and he loves it.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Just curious - and maybe wrong, but I was under the impression that the "correct" cables for the Pro 97 DID NOT come with any software / shareware.

The standard nine-pin-to-mini cable has no CD included, and the USB-to-mini has a CD with drivers only.

When I've heard hobbyists mention a Radio Shack cable WITH software in the past, it's always a reference to the cable / software package that does NOT work with the Pro 92 / 96 / 97.

Am I confused (no comments from the peanut gallery, please !) ?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I think Radio Shack has now sold at least three different scanner programming cables at one time or another. Two will work with the PRO-92/93/95/96/97/99 series and their base model equivalents. One will not. Of the two that will work, one is serial and one is USB.

If you purchased the wrong one (which according to Starrsoft's website is RS model# 20-048) take it back. It won't work with any software for the PRO-97.

To make it more confusing, a search for model # 20-048 on Radio Shack's website doesn't turn up a programming cable (or a any kind of cable). There is a listing, however, for 20-049, which is a programming cable.

See this page: http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win96/cables/cables.html

I don't think you're confused, Jeff. I hope that helps.

Brian

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> I don't think you're confused, Jeff. I hope that helps.

Gee ... when I'm trying not to act like a "know-it-all," no one notices.

I have both the OEM serial cable from GRE, as well as the GRE USB cable. Anyone on the GRE-made scanner lists is aware of the posts by disgruntled RS shoppers who were encouraged to buy the 20-248 cable and software package that DOES NOT work.

Bottom line ... if you have serial ports on your PC, look for the 20-289 cable at Radio Shack. It may be discontinued, but I still see them on the display hooks.

If you only have USB ports, go with the 20-247 USB cable.

Neither the 20-247 or 20-289 will come with software / shareware. You will have to purchased it separately ... and I would only recommend the Win97 software from Starrsoft.

qball

Premium Subscriber
Did someone forget to tell him charleston county is moving to all digital Motorola 7.x platform on the Palmetto 800 system starting 2nd quarter of next year? They are buiding out the digital overlay now.

Charleston County decided not to upgrade their system, but have the Palmetto system build out the upgrades for them....then they will just join the Palmetto 800 System and be a fee paying user like everyone else. This project has been in the works for a couple of years.

I do like the GRE scanner a whole lot better than the 396 though. 996 is really sweet!

Happy listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.