• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help un-modding a Royce 639 cb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhutch62

Hello,
I'm trying to undo someone's sloppy mods and restore a Royce 1-639 (639) to factory specs. The problem is that the schematic that's available online is of poor quality, meaning that some of the letters and numbers are not legible. I tried looking at SAMS PHOTOFACT, but seems that they have no info on this radio, plus, I really didn't want spend $22.00 bucks on a radio that may be shot.

Anyway, when I first tested the radio, it seemed to work fine on AM and USB, with good RX and modulation on TX, but when I switched to LSB, the volume of white noise (hash) got louder and there was only dead key, with no modulation. I initially thought that it would be an easy fix, thinking that it was a faulty 10.XXXXMHz crystal, but when looked inside, there were un-insulated wires, cut wires and solider blobs rolling around inside. I've taken some pics of the PCB, in the hope that someone that is familiar with this radio, could tell me where they go or at least post some good pics to give me an idea as to where they go. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• circled 2.jpg
    circled 2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 102_0008 2.jpg
    102_0008 2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 476
  • 102_0017 2.jpg
    102_0017 2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 536

TheSpaceMann

Hello,
I'm trying to undo someone's sloppy mods and restore a Royce 1-639 (639) to factory specs. The problem is that the schematic that's available online is of poor quality, meaning that some of the letters and numbers are not legible. I tried looking at SAMS PHOTOFACT, but seems that they have no info on this radio, plus, I really didn't want spend $22.00 bucks on a radio that may be shot.

Anyway, when I first tested the radio, it seemed to work fine on AM and USB, with good RX and modulation on TX, but when I switched to LSB, the volume of white noise (hash) got louder and there was only dead key, with no modulation. I initially thought that it would be an easy fix, thinking that it was a faulty 10.XXXXMHz crystal, but when looked inside, there were un-insulated wires, cut wires and solider blobs rolling around inside. I've taken some pics of the PCB, in the hope that someone that is familiar with this radio, could tell me where they go or at least post some good pics to give me an idea as to where they go. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Have you checked CB Tricks - Home Page for the list of mods for that unit? (Check the Secret CB section)

Last edited:

INFRACTOR

Royce 639 is the same as Globephone GS-480 DX

Royce 639 is the same as Globephone GS-480 DX or I know that this post is very old I answer so that someone in the future knows what to look for.
Royce 639 is the same as Globephone GS-480 DX or SOMMERKAMP TS- 340 DX

Status
Not open for further replies.