Help updating scanner database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka7cjh

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

KA7CJH here. Was just wondering if there is anyone who is willing to help me update my RS Pro-95 scanner?
Im wanting to get back into scanning and Ham Radio at the same time, but need to make sure I have updated frequencies in my scanner. The list I have in it now if from way way back when I bought it from Radio Shack here in LemonValley. So im sure there are newer frequencies for law, fire ,etc.. Currently all I can hear is a few Amateur repeaters and Stead Airport unicom. Please help ??

And on a different note, Im wanting to get into DMR Ham Radio in the near future so I will be looking to find a willing Elmer.

Thanks for reading my long/boring post...

Chris / KA7CJH

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

KA7CJH here. Was just wondering if there is anyone who is willing to help me update my RS Pro-95 scanner?
Im wanting to get back into scanning and Ham Radio at the same time, but need to make sure I have updated frequencies in my scanner. The list I have in it now if from way way back when I bought it from Radio Shack here in LemonValley. So im sure there are newer frequencies for law, fire ,etc.. Currently all I can hear is a few Amateur repeaters and Stead Airport unicom. Please help ??

And on a different note, Im wanting to get into DMR Ham Radio in the near future so I will be looking to find a willing Elmer.

Thanks for reading my long/boring post...

Chris / KA7CJH

You can find your local data in the RR database here:

w2xq

Mentor
I strongly suggest you begin your digital DMR adventure by reading Amateur radio notes by KE0FHS as it is the best resource I have found. And you can easily get started with a decent radio and and assembled hotspot for < $200. I have a webpage with numerous links to other DMR sites too, but please read KE0FHS's writings first. Good luck.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Chris / KA7CJH:

If you have a base scanner program the Reno Metro Simulcast system and the fire dept. VHF frequencies which are used during most range fires. If you're using a mobile setup you will need to program several other county sites since the Metro system won't cover many areas around Reno.

KG7PBS

If you want to get in to DMR/NXDN/P25 there is a lot in Reno now more Attractive on DMR. But a better P25 system is in place I say. Not saying SNARS did a bad job on DMR. I just P25 more

ka7cjh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all that replied. Guess I should use this site to find all the up-to-date frequencies first. And then read and learn what DMR is all about. Just bought a Baofeng RD-5R (please dont hate) just so I can check out that mode of radio. If I dont like it or cant undestand it then the radio will not be a big loss. Now back to my frequency searches...

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I also have a Pro-95 and I installed the discriminator tap for DMR/P25 scanning. You basically hook the scanner up to a computer and run a program (DSD plus) use the tap to your line in jack on your computer. Works ok but the Pro-95 has limited freq tuning ability. The xxx.0025 freqs found in DMR systems can't happen with the Pro-95 it wants to round up xxx.002. To be honest you should probably get a P-25 scanner and a cheap DMR like a TYT MD-380. Unless money isn't a problem then go BCD436/536hp or the new SDS100/200 scanners. That Pro-95 is old and limited just saying.

com501

Congrats for joining SNARS. Come to the next breakfast meeting and chat up some of the folks there, you will find willing helpers. PBS is one of them.

ka7cjh

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, I just wish I could get access to the SNARS site so I can download the members DMR Codeplug.. I will try and make a breakfast or two in the near future, but work may get in the way :-( ..

Status
Not open for further replies.