HELP w/ NXDN on BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
Owned a mix of approx. 10 scanners over my lifetime - even back in the day when you had to punch everything in manually.... NOW, have a BCD436HP that I am trying to get an NXDN trunk on

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8654

and it will not happen no matter what I try. Yes, I HAVE the NXDN upgrade along with the current scanner firmware - even followed a step posting that supposedly works - but nothing happens - will not show up while scanning or in any 'mode'. The radio does work perfectly otherwise.

On the premise I am a total idiot, could anyone post ( starting just after you turn the radio on ) an exact step by step mode of getting this NXDN trunk up and running. WOULD BE MUCH APPRICATED!!

Leave it to Uniden to not only charge for the NXDN upgrade - but then find out that Sentinel does not handle NXDN as of yet! Perhaps if you have the upgrade ava., then Sentinel should be able to deal with it..........

Last edited:

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Leave it to Uniden to not only charge for the NXDN upgrade - but then find out that Sentinel does not handle NXDN as of yet! Perhaps if you have the upgrade ava., then Sentinel should be able to deal with it..........

Maybe you missed it in the 100 or so other threads, but Uniden released it for half price to all of us early users BECAUSE Sentinel was not ready. So you saved $30. I have complained about Uniden about numerous things in the past but if you just read a little before hand you will see that you just make yourself look bad on this one.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber

That was part of the $30 reduced cost is the understanding that is was reduced due to Sentinel not supporting NXDN yet. Once supported, the cost increased. I'd rather it been that way then delayed and at full price.

I believe that UPMAN said something the other day that they are working on Sentinel now.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
If download and try out the PROSCAN Program. You should be able to create and/or download any NXDN file from the RR Database.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not nearly enough info to know what you are not doing right. You program it just like an EDACS or LTR system. You need to include the LCN for each frequency. LCNs on NXDN are shown on this page on RR.com: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=27125

Note that many NXDN systems have partial, missing, or incomplete LCN documentation. If the system doesn't scan based on the documented LCNs, I would run LCN finder on the system to verify the correct LCN values.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I was aware of that when I posted the request for help. $30 or $60, Sentinel should have been ready.
I found out it wasn't able to do so AFTER I paid for the upgrade, thus the request for help. Furthermore, it does not make me look bad at all - esp. considering all the money I have given to Uniden over the years It makes them look bad in my eyes.
As to you pointing that out - is that what my post is about? *****ing about the $30? Perhaps help would be more appropriate than trying to make someone who needs assistance look the fool.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Owned a mix of approx. 10 scanners over my lifetime - even back in the day when you had to punch everything in manually.... NOW, have a BCD436HP that I am trying to get an NXDN trunk on

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8654

and it will not happen no matter what I try. Yes, I HAVE the NXDN upgrade along with the current scanner firmware - even followed a step posting that supposedly works - but nothing happens - will not show up while scanning or in any 'mode'. The radio does work perfectly otherwise.

On the premise I am a total idiot, could anyone post ( starting just after you turn the radio on ) an exact step by step mode of getting this NXDN trunk up and running. WOULD BE MUCH APPRICATED!!
See if this helps.

Note that ProScan can handle NXDN programming, and since you are a premium subscriber, you could import the system from the database. ARC536 also supports NXDN. I'm using ProScan.

I would note that, for the system you linked, all the identified talkgroups are tagged as encrypted, No programming gymnastics will get you around that hurdle. Of course, it may be that some of them are not truly 'full time' encryption, or that there may be other non-encrypted TGIDs used on the system.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Ok. :)

Yes, I was aware of that when I posted the request for help. $30 or $60, Sentinel should have been ready.
I found out it wasn't able to do so AFTER I paid for the upgrade, thus the request for help. Furthermore, it does not make me look bad at all - esp. considering all the money I have given to Uniden over the years It makes them look bad in my eyes.
As to you pointing that out - is that what my post is about? *****ing about the $30? Perhaps help would be more appropriate than trying to make someone who needs assistance look the fool.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You're complaining that Sentinel was not updated, even though you were aware that the discounted price was precisely because of the delay on Sentinel? You should have held onto your $30, and matched it to another $30, and waited until the Sentinel update was complete.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
When I programmed - I left the LCN blank and then went to LCN finder - tells me no system found matching your entry.......

Thanks for info though - will see about entering the LCN direct

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I programmed - I left the LCN blank and then went to LCN finder - tells me no system found matching your entry.......

That means you don't have the system enabled to scan. The system has to be in the scan rotation before you can run LCN Finder on it.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
Have the current ProScan and use it on my other base and portable scanners. Tried to import it to radio however it didn't work - unknown why. Perhaps ProScan needs some upgrades? Now I'll have ProScan people on my back too....

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It works for me...ProScan has already been updated to support NXDN.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
With your attitude good luck I am done here.

That is what I get for posting back -

"When I programmed - I left the LCN blank and then went to LCN finder - tells me no system found matching your entry.......

Thanks for info though - will see about entering the LCN direct"

Little hostile for someone thanking you for assistance

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have the current ProScan and use it on my other base and portable scanners. Tried to import it to radio however it didn't work - unknown why. Perhaps ProScan needs some upgrades? Now I'll have ProScan people on my back too....

I had no issues importing the system in question in ProScan. You probably don't have the favorite list set monitor ON, or else don't have the Corrections Service Type enabled, or some other user error.

Attachments

• ProScanNXDNImport.jpg
    ProScanNXDNImport.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 277

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Current version of ProScan is 12.13, which does work for NXDN or DMR. Just verified that one of my local public safety NXDN systems imports correctly.

Make sure that, on the import screen, where you enter your RR login, then choose country, state (province in Canada) & county, that you un-check the box, lower right, above the Import button, that says 'Don't Import Encrypted TGID Channels'. As I noted earlier, all the identified talkgroups on the system you linked initially are flagged as encrypted. If the box is left checked, they will not import. I would also suggest that, once you import the system, you set the system to ID Search, to see if you can find any additional unencrypted TGID's.And, as Jon noted, make sure the system and list are enabled, as well as the Corrections service tag.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I was able to do an import of the system with ARC536. Because it's not a US standard band plan, it appears that a simple custom band plan was used.

All of which is moot, unless the information in the RRDB about encryption is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.