Help W/ WIN500

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBreeze

Yep, another newbie...

I just ordered a new GRE500, and downloaded the WIN500 software. I have been learning and setting that up that while I wait for the radio to arrive. When I save the frequencies I have selected, WIN500 has a check in the box to "Force APCO-25 to NAC search". Do I want to do this, or should I be un-checking the box to prevent this option?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

DonS

First, you'll want to get the latest version (1.90, released today) of Win500.

Second, that option (now) has the effect of setting any imported conventional channel, where the RR DB indicates "APCO-P25" but has no NAC setting, to "NAC Search". If the frequency is always used for digital, you'll want to set this option.

Previous releases were buggy in their handling of NAC. For channels where the RR DB indicates "APCO-25", the program now:
* If the channel has a NAC assigned in the RR DB, uses that value
* If no NAC assigned and you check the "Force APCO-25 to NAC search" box, so sets the resulting CONV object
* If no NAC assigned and you don't check that box, leaves the CONV object with its "Squelch mode" set to "Search"

If it's an always-digital frequency with no NAC listed in the RR DB, and you don't select that option, there's a small chance that you'll get "digital noise".

al95

Yep, another newbie...

I just ordered a new GRE500, and downloaded the WIN500 software. I have been learning and setting that up that while I wait for the radio to arrive. When I save the frequencies I have selected, WIN500 has a check in the box to "Force APCO-25 to NAC search". Do I want to do this, or should I be un-checking the box to prevent this option?

Thanks in advance!

I would leave it check.

TheBreeze

Thanks Guy's! I have been leaving it checked, because it is defaulted to that, so I figured there must be a good reason.

What is the difference between Win500_com.exe, and Win500.exe? I don't see anything.

This is fun, and a lot different from the old days where I manually did the frequency inputs. I can't wait for the radio to get here, and see how the rest of it works.

Last edited:

smokkeyy

Don Starr, question for you?? I have tried contacting you via email several times regarding registration information for my Pro96 / Win96 software and you have not emailed back. Do you not respond to those requests?? I have the Win 500 software and the Win 96 software love them both but cannot find reg info for Win96. I am disappointed that I have not heard anything back. I realize this is off topic but maybe you will see this here??

Status
Not open for further replies.