• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help wiring kenwood v71a in 2010 Rav4 Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

pe8ymno

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I just ordered the kenwood vhf/uhf v71a radio and I'm looking for some help to get power to it. I would greatly appreciate anyone that has some experience in this matter to point me to the right direction!

I am trying to avoid the process of connecting directly to the battery because I would like it to turn off and on with the ignition and I'm not thrilled with opening up firewalls to run cable through.

1) Is there an alternative method like for example tapping into the fuse box of the Rav4? How would I do that? Will that be ample power?
It is a 50 W radio I believe the suggested amps for the v71a are around 13.

2) If going directly to the battery ends up being the best method, What would the best cable run be for the Rav4 2010? (Firewall, also cable gauge)

I greatly appreciate anyone giving me a few pointers!

Thank you

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Some radios don't like to be shut off or turned on from the main power lead. They can be like computers and like to be shut down or turned with the off/on switch. Read the installation manual for the radio and see what it says as to where you should connect the power leads. I usually use #12 or #10 red/black paired wire found in automotive parts stores. I use fuses in both the hot and ground lead. Under the hood I use loom to protect the wires from the harsh environment found in the engine compartment. Most vehicles have spare grommet holes to fish the wires from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. If the radio is happy with being turned off/on with the main power leads you could wire an automotive relay in series with the power lead and connect the relay control to a source of ignition switched voltage to turn the radio off/on.
BB

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I would advise against fuse taps or boogering with your fuse panel. Do it right and take it straight to the battery. Make sure your wiring does not chafe against any metal parts when routing it. If the ON/OFF with ignition is essential, a power down delay module could be wired into your ignition switch. Most car stereo/two way shops have them.

Also make sure to allow for adequate airflow around your V71 when mounting the RF deck itself. The radio has a convective cooling system but it is only effective if it has at least 3-4" of free air around the heat sink/fan exhaust.

Also, be aware that if you do not use the factory remote cable and opt for your own, you may have problems with "helicopter" TX audio or other problems like the radio resetting when transmitting, etc.

Kenwood and their DFK-3D kit

jim202

If you do end up installing an automotive relay to turn the power on and off, do not use a horn relay. These are not designed to be energized for any extended time. They will get hot enough to cause you to remove your hand rather rapidly if you touch them after constantly being energized.

A better solution is to get a Bosh relay. These are designed to be energized for extended time frames. They come in some decent current ratings. They can be obtained from most auto stores. You just might have to have the counter person work with you to pick out a suitable one. Don't forget to include a fuse for the relay that you connect to an ignition controlled feed.

They will be black, in a cube shape and generally use push on connectors. I have seen a few with screw terminals. If you do manage to get one with screw terminals, don't over tighten them asyou can strip the threads.

FKimble

Connect it directly to the battery as its instructions will tell you to. It comes with I think 12 or 14 feet of power cable with fuses already installed in the cable harness. While the supplied cable is approx 14 guage, It seems to work just fine when connected to the battery. The radio has an auto off feature. You can turn this on and it will power off the radio in 30 minute increments from 30 to 180 minutes to prevent running your battery down. The "on" button must be depressed to power on the radio after power is supplied. If powered off, it will not self power up until you depress the "on" button for at least a second. So if powered thru the ignition, all you would gain is a hard power off when key is turned off, it will not come on when the car is cranked. During cranking, voltage sags which is not good for radios.

pe8ymno

Premium Subscriber
THANK YOU!

You guys are all great!
Thank you for all your suggestions and tips!

It seems going directly to the battery makes the most sense after all.

1) Does anyone perhaps own a similar or the same Rav 4 2010 that I do and has done the firewall cable run? I could use some mounting and firewall ideas.

2) I briefly read somewhere that the 5/10/50 W low mid high power settings can be adjusted with a jig?
Ideally I would like to set the mid to 25 W. Would it be wise to experiment?

3) ALL TIPS on this radio are welcome!

73's to all

kc0rzw

The rav main harness has a nipple on the grommet through the firewall, you can cut it and run the wires through. It is easiest to remove the cowl where the wiper motor is to gain access on the engine side. You can set the buttons on the mic for power level, it is a menu setting, easy to do. Feel free to pm me with questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.