• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with 1975 Hy-gain Hy-range II - Poor modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

arudlang

My dad picked up this radio at the pawn shop, wish he would have just told me he was interested in getting a CB since I have about 10 of them around but anyways, I took it home to see if it would work. It does power up but it has really, really poor modulation it seems like. I don't have a scope or any meters that can read modulation but it's just very quiet compared to other test radios on my bench. It receives OK.

Upon opening it up, I noticed that the slotted turn head for the L14 pot looked like it had been macerated by a philips or some other completely inappropriate sized/shaped screwdriver. My shot in the dark guess would be that the former owner thought he could "crank up the power" like people do on a Cobra 29 or similar. Well a Cobra 29 is not the same as a Hy-range II obviously so it didn't work, might have messed with other pots in here too I have no idea what all is potentially out of spec. Gingerly turning the L14 a turn in either direction had no effect so it may just be broken.

So now here sits this radio, it receives okay-ish for the most part, not great audio but its fine. It puts out a carrier around 2 watts but even at close range its just so quiet, you have to yell into the mic and have the receiving radio turned up pretty high on volume and then it kinda works but it won't mesh well with any of our other radios that just require a normal listening volume. Not sure what to do with it.

So, I'm throwing the pics out here in case I'd get lucky and anybody knows which pot(s) are related to modulation and maybe I can tweak it just a bit and get lucky to make it more usable. He just wants to be able to put it on his golf cart and talk to home base when he is wandering around his 40 acres, 2 watts of output would be fine if the thing would just modulate a little better. Uses a mic connector unlike anything else I own so I can't try another mic with it.

I forgot that I even had a homemade dummy load so my tests were done with a mag mount car antenna sitting on the metal lid of my chest freezer. The first time I tried it actually showed a carrier of 10 watts and an SWR of 3, which is what initially made me suspect tampering, but then later on I moved the antenna and re-powered it up and that's when it changed it's tune and showed 2 watts and a 1.5 SWR. Fluke of the cheap meter or something on the first try, I don't know. I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to be messing with this thing but if there was just one pot to adjust to maybe make it one bit better it could be worth keeping. Otherwise I'd say he wasted his $20 when you can buy a brand new radio for $35...

1.png2.png3.1.jpg4.1.jpgzoomed in.png

prcguy

I don't think the tuning has much to do with weak sounding transmit audio. RF adjustments can have a slight effect on that but its not drastic. If the speaker audio gets loud and full sounding then I would suspect problem in the mic preamp area.

Keep in mind that radio is about 47 years old and electrolytic caps will be dried out and less capacitance and other parts will be out of spec. Not to mention it could be just plain broken.

And lastly, the circled part is not a pot its an adjustable coil. "Pot" is short for potentiometer or adjustable resistor. "L" on a parts list or diagram is usually an inductor.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

could be the mike itself is weak. Be careful swapping mikes, there are as many pin outs as radio makers. Also check the PA switch on the squelch control. The contacts might be weak.

prcguy

If the mic cartridge is suspected I would take it out or just disconnect one lead, terminate with maybe a 1k ohm resistor then connect to an oscilloscope and yell into it. Then grab another similar known working dynamic cartridge and do the same as a reference.

could be the mike itself is weak. Be careful swapping mikes, there are as many pin outs as radio makers. Also check the PA switch on the squelch control. The contacts might be weak.

arudlang

Thanks guys I kinda knew "pot" wasn't the right word but just couldn't think of "coil", at least you knew what I meant.

I don't have a scope and the mic connector doesn't match anything I have here. That being said, I do have a multimeter and I can probably probe it out and see about making an adapter to try another mic.

The point about the caps is definitely something I had thought about and tried to explain to my dad when I first picked it up. He thinks I am talking nonsense but then again he also believes that the 20 year old 8 inch long magnetic antenna he bought for an additional $20 with the radio will outperform my antennas, even without a ground plane under them (ie, on fiberglass roof of a golf cart). So... :rolleyes:

I want to help him but he keeps getting frustrated that his 40 year old radios can't be heard. But its never something wrong with the radios he has full faith in them. He also doesn't seem to think it matters if the antenna on the truck is flopping loose... whatever.

I'll let him decide what to do with it. If he wants to install it in something thats up to him, I'll not waste my time with it. I'm more than happy to install a radio and antenna for him, but not when it's something that I already know doesn't work (or doesn't work well).

KANE4109

It may sound dumb.... but I will offer it......

A few weeks ago I bought a "lot" of 6 microphones.... one was a Realistic that I REALLY wanted for a TRC-458.
When I got it..... I found that the SCREEN that is OVER the mic element..... was literally rusted solid. I took it out and
you could only see a light bulb behind it through about 5% of the screen area.

Check for something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.