• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with 2 tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

amys17

Premium Subscriber
OK folks. Got a guy that reached out to me for help, among many others and he's had no luck, even unication couldn't help him. So let's pick some minds. He is in Burlington County NJ. He has a g1 programmed that works fine. But upgraded to a g5, however the g5 will not trip to the tones. He is sure of the tones as he pulled them from the g1. G1 uses Motorola tone table. G5 was set to Motorola tone table but would not trip. He does recieve radio traffic on monitor mode. This is a vhf channel of 154. 22. It did not work even before the 1.3 firmware upgrade.

When I listen to his tones. They sound to actually be 2 second tone a with 3 seconds tone b. Absolutely no gap between them. One rolls right into the other. Anybody got any ideas. At this point its playing with timings I'm guessing. But anybody got any suggestions. Thanks. Ps. I'll try to attach a file of I can from my computer.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
You can try setting the tones from Motorola Timing to Fast Plectron. That will require only .75sec x .25 sec of tone to validate.
Does he have the frequency set in the Zone/Key config to use the paging protocol in your Protocol settings tab? (tab 3)
At the bottom of the frequency settings, do you have a check box next to that tone sequence so it is associated with that frequency?

amys17

Premium Subscriber
Will try. Yes on the others. I sent him a profile myself but it seems to be a timing issue. I for the life of me cant figure out why the g1 will alert but the g5 won't.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Will try. Yes on the others. I sent him a profile myself but it seems to be a timing issue. I for the life of me cant figure out why the g1 will alert but the g5 won't

I have been working with him for days, cannot get the timing right, set the protocol user and 3000 and 1000 no go, I tried ti listen to the freq and time it, wierd tone set up, his G1 it set to motorola

Last edited:

amys17

Premium Subscriber
We rolled him back to 1.2 and got it working for now. I reduced the signal detect wait time to 125ms instead of the 400 Motorola standard. Left the rest of user defined alone. So now to see if we can get it to work on 1.3.

doc62

I hope you figure this out. I've been holding up updating my G5 from 1.2 to 1.3 because of all the stories I've heard about this problem. Right now my G5 alerts for my station in Chester County PA (VHF Conv).

amys17

Premium Subscriber
I hope you figure this out. I've been holding up updating my G5 from 1.2 to 1.3 because of all the stories I've heard about this problem. Right now my G5 alerts for my station in Chester County PA (VHF Conv).
I will let you know if we get it working on 1.3 and how

CcSkyEye

I will let you know if we get it working on 1.3 and how

Keep us posted on your findings. I too had to go back to the 1.2 on my G5 after hours of playing around with the settings it still was not alerting.

Seems like a pretty major bug, luckily I only had updated two pagers, I know another guy that upgraded and went back to 1.2 on 43 G5.

amys17

Premium Subscriber
After a crap ton of playing, we got this guys vhf passing on 1.3 to work. We decreased the signal detect wait time in the user defined 2 tone protocol to 125ms. That made it alert, then just spent a day working out some bugs. We left the rest of the times alone.

amys17

Premium Subscriber
I'll tell you it was tedious trying to figure out the 1 setting that was screwing it up. Luckily, he had a g1 that alerted, so I had him send me that profile. I poured over the 2 profiles. Got out to go on 1.2, then made the leap to 1.3. That produced some new problems that I think were glitches. But all working as it should now

amys17

Premium Subscriber
and he started having problems again with false alerts. so back to the drawing board. now working again. with these settings.
tone 1 duration 1000ms
gap 1 duration 0ms
tone 2 duration 2000ms
gap 2 duration 0ms
long tone duration 8000ms
long tone gap 0ms
long tone rx timeout 5000ms
rx timeout 1000ms
signaling activity timeout 900ms
signal detect wait time 1000ms

M67248Ski

Premium Subscriber
Any more input on this. Having trouble since 1.3 for burlington as well. Luckly not a system I rely on for alerting.

M67248Ski

Premium Subscriber
yep currently running it. since released. I put his edit in for tone timing and add few more tone pairs to try to get a alert. nothing yet today.
1.3 did seem to fix issue for p25 that I had with random in and out of range.

M67248Ski

Premium Subscriber
finally got a tone out for what Ive been monitoring. Alerted fine I'll keep running those suggested timings and report back incase anyone else has trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.