help with 20 groups per system limit (996P2/XT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWallace

Premium Subscriber
Please bear with me, I'm new to this.

I have a Uniden 996P2 (and an XT as well).

I am using Freescan to program it.

The 996 has a limit of 20 groups per system.

The system I am scanning is a Motorola Type II and has multiple simulcast sites (of which I only need to use one because I am stationary).

This system has 49 groups. I only need to scan 16 groups.

However, when I scan, the scanner stops on channels that are from other groups that I haven't loaded in the scanner. (because they are physically on that radio system)

So, what I need is a way to only scan the groups and talk group IDs that I want (yes I have some individual channels locked out)

My first thought was to load all 49 groups, and then set 33 groups I don't need to "lockout" and then the scan would skip them.

But I can't fit 49 groups into one system due to the Uniden limit of 20 groups/system.

So then I created three of the same systems, and split the groups across them. First system, the groups I want to scan.
The final two groups, all the other groups, with every one set to lock out.

This works, and I skip the groups that are locked out, but then when I land on a channel that I want, it must be from the other system, because then I only see the talk group ID, not the channel name.

I'd appreciate any help on this anyone can provide. My goal is for the scanner to not scan/stop on channels from the 33 groups I am not interested in.

Last edited:

marksmith

Sounds like you are in search mode, and if any ID is active, you hear it, regardless of whether it is in your "I want to hear it" group or not.

You need to set each of these systems to SCAN instead of SEARCH, so the radio only stops on this ID'S you have selected to listen to. It will not stop on active ID'S without descriptions.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the scanner is in id search mode, change it to id scan and it will only scan what you program into it. There is a button on the upper right side of the scanner to push to change it from search to scan.

GWallace

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the scanner is in id search mode, change it to id scan and it will only scan what you program into it. There is a button on the upper right side of the scanner to push to change it from search to scan.

Thanks, knew it would be something obvious.

Is there a way to set that as the default? Or do I just press the button twice?

teufler

Search mode is not too bad at the first. Particularly if the system is in a growing mode. You may have police tg's stored, but all of a sudden they are using a group for talk around, between units rather that the repeater, or RR is not up to date because no one has sent in new stuff. You could store two systems, identical except one is in id scan mode and the other is in search mode. Then through Quick keys you can shut one down or leave both up, just to hear everything that the RADIOS HEAR,

Status
Not open for further replies.