HELP with 396

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
If anyone living in PG county who owns a 396 can help with programming issues.Help is needed Thanks

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
well to simply put it just about all the local FD 800 stuff MPD.Basically I am a computer dummy.I think I downloaded the right thing off of uniden's site.I know all of this isn't too clear on what's happening or not happpening.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
tbccfc2 said:
well to simply put it just about all the local FD 800 stuff MPD.Basically I am a computer dummy.I think I downloaded the right thing off of uniden's site.I know all of this isn't too clear on what's happening or not happpening.

OK, let's start at the grass roots here. I'm going to throw out a bunch of terms here; this will help you gauge where you need to begin. I'm not trying to throw you a bunch of overwhelming xxxx - it's a deliberate attempt to narrow down exactly what you need. Take your time and read all links carefully.

a. When you say MPD, do you mean the DC system or the Montgomery County System? They are completely different, and it's important to be precise so that others know what it is you are trying to hear and how to help.

b. The DC Metro system is something of a mix - it uses 2 linked digital Motorola systems, a 400 Mhz system for the PD, with an 800 Mhz digital system for their fire dept. On the other hand, Montgomery County uses an 800 Mhz Motorola system for the entire county, both police, fire and more.

c. PG county's system is almost completely conventional, with 2 small EDACS systems used for other purposes.

Now if nothing I just mentioned made much sense, it's time to read the following (just single click on the blue text)

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Read the 'Basics' section first, along with the links in 'Other Trunking FAQs' which should help reinforce the information. Then, when you're comfortable, concentrate on the 'EDACS' (not ProVoice or Open Sky, neither of which is monitorable by any scanner) 'Motorola' 'Type II' and 'Project 25' . These comprise the most common system types in the area.

Now if you understood what I said, take a look at:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396T

I would start in the 'Related Pages' section and read the article by Paul Optiz entitled
'Scanner Programming: Man Machine Interface'. If you're used to thinking in terms of banks and memory channels, you will need to be thinking in other terms with the 396, which uses a scheme that allows you to basically carve out your own groups out of the 6000 channels available.

Next there's the 'Easier to Read BCD396T Manual' - many have found the Easier to Read series to be a big help.

Now onto software - if you've downloaded the Uniden Advanced Scanner Director (often abbreviated UASD), you got the right item to get started. Again, from that Wiki page I mentioned earlier, there's a link for the 'BCD396 Yahoo group'. Join that, if you haven't already; there are UASD files in the 'Files' section of that group for our area that should be usable to at least get you started.

As for downloading data from the database - either utilizing the RR Web service, or getting data in CSV (comma seperated values) format (which many Microsoft products support, such as Excel) you need to be a paid member. This will give you the option of getting data that you import from a CSV file (I think the UASD has this capability) or can load directly using the Web Service (ARC396 from BuTel does this, but not the UASD). Scan Control can also import data from a CSV file, and supports many Uniden scanners in one package (something to consider if you have several Unidens and/or a PRO-2052). These software packages, and more, are linked in the 'Supporting Software' section of the Wiki page.

You can find out about the subscription service here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Subscription

Whew! That should be enough to get you started. Read and start asking questions - there's lots of intelligent folks on this forum. 73s Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.