Help with 796D trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

news36

Premium Subscriber
Hey all-

I'll start with I promise I've searched all I could and have read the manual and tried everything I could think of before asking for help here.

I am using proscan to program a 796D- I have updated the firmware-

My issue is that I am importing in what I want to program with RR (I have a premium subscription)- it seems that everything comes in just fine- but when I flash it over to the sanner- it is ONLY scanning the channels- the talkgroups do not show up... even though they are in the trunk list in ProScan.

I am trying to flash over the Cabarrus County trunked system in NC...

Manual says to hold the trunk button down so that it goes in to ID Scan mode- I do that but still have nothing... When I just press Trunk once- it takes me through a whole menu that I simply do not understand-- it is almost like it is treating it like a conventional system- but ProScan shows that it is a trunked system being flashed over- and I can SEE the TG's in ProScan.

If anyone can give me some tips on what I should do- or if there is any more info you need just let me know.

Thanks.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I too had problems with my 796D to scan trunk systems. It is hard to get going and once you get it, you forget the way you got there.

As best as I recall, once you are in the trunk scan, you also have to turn on the trunk ID lists (similar to turning on the banks).

And I'm sure you've read the manual on page 24 where it talks about scanning trunked systems.

Also I looked up your system and it appears to be a simulcast system. Simulcast systems can be pretty difficult to monitor depending upon where you are with respect to the sites. Only the recent model scanners seem to have gotten a grashp on simulcast system decoding.

You could always try programming all of the channels as a conventional system and do a scan on them. The scanner will stop on the control channel and make a funny sound. You lock that one out and listen to the rest. If you can hear transmissions, you'll know whether you'll have decoding issues. Of course this doesn't do trunk tracking, but still will give you and idea of potential reception.

news36

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I will try to see what I can do.. I'm just about to rip my hair out witht these scanners. You're right though about forgetting it once you figure it out- I've done that too many times. I've programmed many simulcast systems on other scanners, but they were much newer models.

Status
Not open for further replies.