help with 800mhz yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjvan

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a 6 element 800mhz yagi. I haven't yet mounted it (plan to put it in the attic). My question is this: When connecting it to my scanner I get worse reception (am trying to monitor a police agency about 20 miles northeast of my location) than i do with the rubber duck. I've double checked the connection and it seems fine. It has about 20 feet of rg58 coax. Any ideas about why the antenna doesn't seem to be working? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Heath

brandon

Database Admin
rg58 coax is not good on 800 mhz

Also make sure its mounted so the elements are vertical

frankh

Also Yagi's are directional, you gotta point it at what you want to hear. Try moving it around a little in different directions, you might be off slightly more then you think.

hjvan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I'll try messing with it some tonight. Earlier I had tried moving it in several different positions, not only direction-wise but also both horizontal and vertical...but could never get the system to come in. And like i said, the system actually comes in (not clear, but at least a little) with the stock antenna. So it's almost like there's a bad connection.

LarrySC

The Yagi may have an "N" connector for 800. Buy an N to F adp and use RG-6. Put an F to BNC on back of the scanner. Make a simple map and point antenna. Without going crazy spending $ this is the way I would it. Good Luck.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
If your connections aren't shorted, I'd definately changeup the coax. I used RG58 on a 800 yagi and got nothing. I switched over to LMR400 and they came in crystal clear. Big difference in loss @ 800 MHz.

The RG-6 as described will work better.

N4JNW

Ditto on the coax... RG58 is junk once you get up about 400 or 500 I think...

Also, cut you a shorter "jumper" peice about 3 ft long. Go up in the attic, connect everything up with the short jumper, and aim your antenna. You'll have your scanner right there with you, so you'll know when you're in the honey hole, and when you're cold as ice.

Good luck.. Let us know how it works..

Status
Not open for further replies.