Help with 996-volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperC

I know this may not be the technical "right" place to post, but I am pretty sure there are several Kansas tech people who lurk here. I was down-loading new systems into my 996T. When I finished, the scanner speaker no longer worked. I can plug in speakers/head-phones, and they seems to work fine. I checked the internal speaker with a meter, and found continuity, if that is the proper word, so it appears to be okay. I have a feeling I hit an extra button on the front along with the large rotating push/rotate knob. I am wondering if I somehow disconnected or reduced the volume (some sort of unknown/or unadvertised result). Other than taking it to a repair shop or Uniden, would any of you know of some sort dumb thing I might have done, that I can undo.

mancow

Database Admin
Have you backed up the memory to the PC and tried a full reset of the radio?

Did you have anything in the headphone jack that could have caused it to get stuck?

rankin39

mancow said:
Have you backed up the memory to the PC and tried a full reset of the radio?

Did you have anything in the headphone jack that could have caused it to get stuck?

I agree that the headphone jack sounds like the most likely culprit. If you had something plugged into it, the contacts to the internal speaker may not have quite connected again when you withdrew the plug. I always use an external speaker with my 996 anyhow, since it sounds better that way.

Bob, WoNXN

Sjinndoawi

jack sticks

yes the jack sticks, it has happened on 2 of my 996t's..I had to order a new jack from Uniden and replace the old one..Since then I bought all of the 996t's there own speaker systems..It does sound much better...

Brian

rankin39

monitorman said:
What external speaker do you use, Bob?

A couple of 'em. At home I use an old Radio Shack external speaker -- square, black and about 5 by 5 inches and maybe 2.5 or 3 in. deep.

In the car I use one that is about 4" by 2.5" and maybe 2 " deep that I bought at Associated Radio in Overland Park. Anything smaller than that sounds really tinny. You could probably find old Motorola communications speakers about the size of the Radio Shack ones (above) at various two-way shops. They shouldn't cost too much used.

Bob, w0nxn

Status
Not open for further replies.