Help with Alinco DJ-X10K

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadLou

I would first like to say that, I have just started viewing this Site, and am overcome with all the very knowledgeable and courteous members on this site.
I’ll look forward to reading any comments that you may have.

I purchased a brand new Alinco DJ-X10K Spent $479 + tax.
I am finding it hard to listen to anything.
I live in the London, Ontario. I just found out that the Police and other Public Departments all use an encrypting signal.
I am really having a hard time trying to pick up any thing.
I want to listen to as much as I can, but not having very much luck.
I drove all the way to Toronto to pick this up, I hope that I did not waste my time and money.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.
Any Good freqs would be nice.

PS. Whats your opinion of this Radio, if you own one?

BBL

wyldman

London PD are AEGIS encrypted,but there should be other local systems you can pick up.Some may be trunked,so I'm not sure if you can follow them correctly without a truck tracking scanner.

OPP can be scanned,but you need a digital scanner to decode the audio,otherwise you'll just hear data noise.

It sounds as if you may have bought the wrong type of scanner.

BigBadLou

Thanks for your quick response.
I still have 4 days left on my holidays; I may be able to go back to Toronto and return it and pick up another.
I am open to suggestions of what kind to buy?
I might even buy a used one now,

Thanks again.

BBL

wyldman

Well if you want to listen to OPP,then you will need a digital scanner.If that is the case,then a Uniden BCD396T would do a fine job.

If you don't want digital,then a BC246T or a BR330T will do.The 246 is cheaper,but has fewer features and less sensitivity than the more expensive 330.The 330 holds more stuff too.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I used to own one. It did well on Aircraft bands and Military UHF. I used the computer software to program it as I found it difficult to follow the manual. The size of the radio is nice and the sound was fairly clean.

The supplied antenna is as close to useless as one can be. I would suggest upgrading to a better wideband antenna like a telescoping whip. Not much good when you want to hang it from your belt. For the airband scanning I did, I used a Diamond RH77C and it did well.

Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.