Help with antenna frequencies please ?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Hi Forum,
Wonder if you can help and I apologise in advance if I should know better ?!!!!
My main interest in radio has always been scanning and over the years I have collected numerous antennas (mainly for mag mounts) that include single coils, double coils etc,etc. with no labels or markings I could make a guess but how can I confirm the optimal frequency they are tuned for ?
For example is there a piece of kit, an antenna analyser ? that I can plug my antenna into and it tells me " 162 mhz or 458 mhz" ??
At least that way I will know not to use the 162 mhz antenna when scanning the 450 mhz band !!!

Does that sort of make sense ? A quick look online gave me options if I was building an antenna , not really telling me what to do if the antenna already exists.

As always thankyou in advance and if it is a newbie question please don't shoot the messenger !!!!!
Thanks as always, please be safe

Kevin ,East of England ( US Airforce Mildenhall, Suffolk, England -Fire Department)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The NanoVNA is an inexpensive (relatively) tool that will show you where an antenna resonates.

It takes a bit of skill to use it, but there's some good tutorials online (and a lot of bad ones).

You'd essentially sweep the antenna between a frequency range and see where the dips are. That tells you what frequencies the antenna is resonate at, and where it'll work best.

Once you learn how to use it, it's a heck of a handy tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.