Help with aviation reception on RS PRO-652

Status
Not open for further replies.

renodog1

Hi - new to this forum but hoping you folks can help out.

I just purchased a new RS Pro-652 unit. I have installed a TRAM 1410 discone antenna on my roof on a 15 foot pole. I have connected the antenna using LMR-400UF coax (75' run). At this point, I am primarily interested in monitoring aircraft frequencies (118-137 MHz).

The problem is that I can get crystal clear signals for the local aviation approach frequencies. However, the reception for the local airport ground and tower frequencies has a lot of static. I am only 3 miles from the airport (Reno-Tahoe International) and at a slightly higher elevation.

Are there any settings I need to make on the scanner to improve reception? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
aviation frequencies in the 118-137 MHz portion of the spectrum are AM and, just like AM radio stations, they are more easily subject interference. you may be physically closer to the approach transmitters than you are to the tower. but at 3-miles you should be able to hear them clearly even though most of the radiated energy is focused upwards. try turning off other electrical devices such as computers, monitors, light fixtures in the room where the radio is located and moving outward to adjacent rooms until the interference stops. then, one by one, turn all of those components on until you find the offending device.

good luck. troubleshooting these types of issues can be time consuming.

crash1

The reason why you're having bad reception on aircraft band is that you are using a Whistler or GRE type radio and they're very sensitive in that range and VHF to get a lot of interference try disconnecting it from your discone antenna and using the stock antenna and that should improve its um if you're only 3 miles away you should be able to pick it up I live like 20 miles from an airport and I got a lot of static two try using a ground plane antenna

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As they are using a borrowed GRE design, I remember several folks remarking that once they added a FM broadcast filter to the setup, that the air sensitivity was much better. If you are pretty close to FM broadcast transmitters, or are in an urban area near an airport, it's worth thinking about.

There are many such devices, including those by PAR electronics, if you decide to go that route...here's one example

VHF-FM Broadcast Filters | PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts

Mike

renodog1

Thanks for the help. I have ordered the FM broadcast filter from PAR Electronics and will let you know how that works once I receive it.

renodog1

Installed the filter today and it solved the issue!! My aviation frequency reception is now much clearer. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.