• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help With Baofeng UV-82 *new user*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe549

I am completely new to these types of radios and have absolutely no idea what I am doing.... I found these radios online, seemed like a good price so I did some reading and what I found was what seemed like good reviews 'for what they are'. I know these are low end units, but for what I would like them for (scanning and listening, basically to see if this is something I would be interested in pursuing and possibly getting licensed) they seemed reasonable.

I have tried following the instructions on how to program and set these up but it might as well be written in Arabic, because none of it makes any sense and the best I have been able to hear is a brief morse code transmission... Is there anyone that can guide me through programing these things in a simple to understand terms? I will have to do this through the handsets as I do not have a PC cable for them (not even sure where you would plug one in??)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I am completely new to these types of radios and have absolutely no idea what I am doing.... I found these radios online, seemed like a good price so I did some reading and what I found was what seemed like good reviews 'for what they are'. I know these are low end units, but for what I would like them for (scanning and listening, basically to see if this is something I would be interested in pursuing and possibly getting licensed) they seemed reasonable.

I have tried following the instructions on how to program and set these up but it might as well be written in Arabic, because none of it makes any sense and the best I have been able to hear is a brief morse code transmission... Is there anyone that can guide me through programing these things in a simple to understand terms? I will have to do this through the handsets as I do not have a PC cable for them (not even sure where you would plug one in??)

Hello and welcome to Radioreference,

The owners manuals for these budget radios come from China, so the translation and logical order of functions can be lost in translation to English. Here is a visual guide to check out: Baofeng UV-82 Dual Band Transceiver Radio-Mart.net - YouTube Also additional information can be found here: http://www.miklor.com/UV82/
Also, if you heard a brief Morse code signal, then it's most likely the ham repeater transmitting the station identification in Morse Code (Aka. CW or Continuous Wave Mode).

If you park on that frequency for a time, you may also hear hams chatting or even as a group on a "net" checking in with the currently assigned net control (or leader) of the group on the repeater.

As for the cable, most of the new models use the microphone port on the side of the radio (under a cover), for the transmit and receive to and from the PC through the USB pot.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
UV-82

This is a good radio, and if the instructions aren't working for you, get the free software or Chirp (also free). Setting up a frequency is like using a spreadsheet and the ARRL Frequency book or other online sources will give you all the info you need. Watch the offsets, as they are often a stumbling block for new users. UHF is almost always +5.000, and VHF is minus .600 below 147.000 and plus .600 above 147.000. 147.000 can be either. The frequency given in most lists is the receive frequency, and the transmit frequency is calculated using the values from above. Chirp sets them automatically by choosing -, +, or none in the Duplex column.

Joe549

I think I may be getting somewhere. I found some frequencies and have been attempting to program them in. The following is the instructions cut and paste from miklor.com. on Programming a Repeater Channel with Standard Offsets. The frequency and CTCSS code is for the local fire and rescue dispatch.

1. Set radio to VFO Mode (Frequency Mode)
a.) UV5R/GT3 - Press VFO/MR button
b.) UV82 - Turn radio OFF, then Press/Hold MENU button during PowerON.

2. Select Display A (this is a must)
a.) UV5R/GT3 - Press [A/B] and select the Upper Display.
b.) UV82 - Press [EXIT A/B] and select the Upper Display.

3. Disable TDR (Dual Watch/Dual RX) which toggles between A and B.
Press [Menu] 7 [Menu]
Select OFF
Press [Menu] [Exit]

4. Delete Prior Data from the channel to be programmed.
Press [Menu] 2 8 [Menu]
Enter 002 (Memory Channel to clear)
Press [Menu] [Exit]

5. Enter the Repeater Offset.
Press [Menu] 2 6 [Menu]
Enter 0 0 6 0 0
Press [Menu] [Exit]

6. Enter the Transmit Frequency Shift.
Press [Menu] 2 5 [Menu]
Enter 2 for Minus shift.
Press [Menu] [Exit]

7. Set CTCSS or DCS codes for Transmit.
( example = CTCSS TX tone 110.9 Hz )
Press [Menu] 1 3 [Menu]
Enter 1 1 0 9 [Menu] [Exit]

8. Enter the repeater output frequency, 162.72000

9. Store RX frequency
Press [Menu] 2 7 [Menu]
Enter 002 (Memory Channel) ( 000 to 127 )
This is the channel that was cleared in step 4.
Press [Menu] [Exit]

10. Press the [ * Scan ] button.
This activates Reverse Mode and displays the TX frequency.

11. Press [Menu] 2 7 [Menu]
Enter the same Memory Channel entered above.
Press [Menu]

12. Press the [* Scan] again to exit the Reverse Mode.

13. Press [Exit]

I can see that the unit is receiving signal, however it will not come through the speaker unless I press a button on the side of the unit.... What am I missing or is there that I need to change? Is there other setting info for frequencies that I need that I have not been able to find?? A different frequency that I programmed using the same steps as above shows that there is a signal coming in yet when I press that button all I get is static. I did get one brief transmission that was clear and I was able to confirm that it was the frequency I wanted to be on...

w4rez

Are you setting CTCSS or DCS on the receive side? It sounds like either the repeater isn't transmitting a tone, or you have your radio set to the wrong tone.

Joe549

Are you setting CTCSS or DCS on the receive side? It sounds like either the repeater isn't transmitting a tone, or you have your radio set to the wrong tone.

According to the steps that I followed, I have set the Transmit - Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) at 110.9. There is no step, in the instructions, to set the receive side so I have never done anything with that one during programming. However, when I programmed while in Frequency mode I could hear the communication being broadcast, when I changed to Channel Mode, I could not hear anything unless I push and hold the Monitor button on the side of the unit.

Now, I have found the following in the FAQ;

Q: Why can't I key or hear my local repeater, fire dept, etc. ?
A: Some Repeaters and Services require a CTCSS (PL) tone for access but DO NOT transmit one back. If your display indicates there is an incoming signal but you hear no audio, you may have an incorrect or unnecessary RX tone set.

This can be tested by pressing the [M] button. When in doubt, leave the RX tone OFF.

I have taken this step and I can now hear the dispatch while in Channel Mode. So I have the T-CTCS set at 110.9 and the R-CTCS set at OFF. Which doesn't make any sense to me as I would think that the receive side should be set in order to hear the broadcast. The RX/TX for DCS are OFF.

Should I be leaving RX side set to off at all times to ensure reception?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Systems usually use the same tone on RX as TX but they could be different. Your radio listens for that tone. If it hears the tone it will open the squelch and you hear the voice. There could be other users of that same frequency using a different tone. You will only hear the user whose tone you program in the RX. No tone means you hear everything on the frequency (like pushing the monitor button). If you only want to hear a specific user (and eliminate extraneous noise) use the appropriate tone.
BB

Joe549

So, when I use the information that I get from the Frequency Database link above, is there other information that I need that is not listed or can the information listed be out of date?

Also, how do you determine the appropriate tone if you don't know what it is? There seems to be a scan feature on the receive side of the CTCS and DCS, but I don't know if it works the way I think it does, or I have the incorrect frequency all together for the repeater I am trying to hear, but I don't think that is the case..

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I think I may be getting somewhere. I found some frequencies and have been attempting to program them in. The following is the instructions cut and paste from miklor.com. on Programming a Repeater Channel with Standard Offsets. The frequency and CTCSS code is for the local fire and rescue dispatch.

Press [Menu] 7 [Menu]
Select OFF
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 2 8 [Menu]
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 2 6 [Menu]
Enter 0 0 6 0 0
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 2 5 [Menu]
Enter 2 for Minus shift.
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 1 3 [Menu]

9. Store RX frequency
Press [Menu] 2 7 [Menu]
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu]

13. Press [Exit]

I can see that the unit is receiving signal, however it will not come through the speaker unless I press a button on the side of the unit.... What am I missing or is there that I need to change? Is there other setting info for frequencies that I need that I have not been able to find?? A different frequency that I programmed using the same steps as above shows that there is a signal coming in yet when I press that button all I get is static. I did get one brief transmission that was clear and I was able to confirm that it was the frequency I wanted to be on...

When programming a channel for listening, set both menus 10 and 11 to OFF. For receiving, OFF always works. By setting these menus to any other value you will not hear anything if they are set incorrectly. Did I mention that OFF always works.

Menus 12 and 13 can also be set to OFF. Since you will not be transmitting you won't need them for opening the squelch of a remote station.

Jim KC9HI

aspicer

Hello and welcome to Radioreference,

Also, if you heard a brief Morse code signal, then it's most likely the ham repeater transmitting the station identification in Morse Code (Aka. CW or Continuous Wave Mode).

Repeaters don't transmit in CW or Continous Wave Mode. The always transmit in FM mode. When they identify in Morse Code they just send the audio of what morse code sounds like from a recording or from an audio generator of some sort. You will notice that the carrier of the repeater never drops ... so this cannot be real CW mode :)

73 de KA4UDX

LordVall

Press [Menu] 7 [Menu]
Select OFF
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 2 8 [Menu]
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 2 6 [Menu]
Enter 0 0 6 0 0
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 2 5 [Menu]
Enter 2 for Minus shift.
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu] 1 3 [Menu]

9. Store RX frequency
Press [Menu] 2 7 [Menu]
Press [Menu] [Exit]

Press [Menu]

13. Press [Exit]

Baofeng UV-82 won't transmit to Repeater in Channel Mode, But will transmit in frequency mode:

In short the unit is defective, despite rather called UV-82 or UV-82L the unit is defective. I have purchased and configured many Baofeng UV-82 units including the GT-3TP. of the 19+ UV-82 units I have programmed, I too have encountered that same problem a couple times. If you are using the chirp software and are copying and pasting the memory frequencies from a working unit in Channel mode, and still not able to transmit in channel mode then You know it's NOT a user programming error. I have successfully copied and pasted my fleet Memory Range before and after recognizing a brand new purchased defective units. again you have a defective unit, stop wrecking your brain re-programming that unit over and over thinking you missed a step, configured incorrectly or done something wrong. :)

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
to makeit easy i simply write the program with the VIP software from baofeng for te basic settings and then use chirp to fine tune all of the optional features and in chirp you can enable the TX enable box in advanced features

treborx

Just note that my USB cable requires pushing into and holding it hard into the radio when transferring data. It may be my $5 cable, but it is true for three radios so far. So anyone having trouble, try that.

skent333

Premium Subscriber
I am Asst chief in local fire department. I have purchased a UV-28 for practice. Fireman wear thick and heavy gloves and with the UV-28, it is difficult to press only the "A" PTT button without pressing the "B" PTT button. Is there a way to have the "A" button active and the "B" button locked out?

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I am Asst chief in local fire department. I have purchased a UV-28 for practice. Fireman wear thick and heavy gloves and with the UV-28, it is difficult to press only the "A" PTT button without pressing the "B" PTT button. Is there a way to have the "A" button active and the "B" button locked out?

Use CHIRP or the OEM software to program a channel that has TX disabled. Select that channel in the lower display.

Also, if you have the UV-82C, you can program the radio so that the dual [PTT] buttons behave as a single [PTT] button. No matter which one you press, only the selected display will transmit.

Jim KC9HI

ffemt6488

Premium Subscriber
the UV82 C is the commercial version and you can disable the dual ptt with the chirp software or like in anothe reply use a repel mic and B will be the primary channel

Status
Not open for further replies.