• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help With Baofeng UV-82 *new user*

Status
Not open for further replies.

skent333

Premium Subscriber
KC9HI

Thank you both for the fast response. Both suggestions will be tried. Thanks again.

Sam, K4CEK

bs953

Baofeng UV-82 Programming question

I just got this radio mainly for scanner and if needed emergencies. My issue is that I have 4 other radio's at the ranch all in the 400 Mhz range. I was able to program the UV-82 for these radios with chirp and make some other nice changes. Biggest issue is that I am scanning on (A) and have (B) fixed on the ranch radios. The problem is that when I talk on the ranch radio (B) doesn't pick it up, if I put (A) on manual (no scan) any channel (B) picks me up just fine. But then I have to put (A) back on scan...I have the ranch radio's programmed into about 10 spots (A) on the radio so that when it is 'scanning' I hear the call.
Is there something I am missing here, because I want the ranch radio to hit (B) no matter what (A) is doing...like for example on a straight scanner you can set a channel to priority and no matter where the scanner is, if there is traffic on that 'priority' channel the scanner jumps right to it...more or less...so how can I make the UV-82 do the same thing? Thanx Mac

nd5y

The UV-82 does not have priority.
There is no way to receive two signals at the same time.
The TDR dual recive function only toggles between A and B and receives whichever one is active first.
If somebody then talks on the other channel you won't hear anything until the first transmission stops.
The TDR dual recive function does not work while scanning.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
To add to what Tom said...

TDR is a form of scanning. You can't do both forms of scanning at the same time so TDR is disabled while the radio is scanning through the MR channels (or VFO frequencies).

Jim KC9HI

bs953

Clarify

Some reason I didn't get flagged I got a reply. Thanks Guys. Anyways maybe I am making it to complicated here. I get the no 'priority' part. I am not trying to scan both A&B at the same time. "A" is just scanning away doing its thing fine great. "B" is just sitting there on the 'ranch' channel fine great, perfect just what I want. Now, I get that if "A" is hearing a transmission ergo a dispatch or something "B" is out of the loop might as well not be there right? That said if "A" has no transmissions in progress just simply scanning and then the wife calls me on the 'ranch' channel, shouldn't then "B" receive that transmission?
I also get it that if "B" gets a transmission all action stops on "A" and when I am done doing whatever I have to. I have to hit the ext/ab button and then resume scan on "A". That's fine. I mean otherwise what is the point of 'dual mode' 'watch' ? Or do I need to switch to Rum instead of shine?

teufler

This is interesting. I have a f8hp, similar to what you have, and I have the same problem. Never noticed as when two frequencies are static, side A is active, you get call on the B side and the radio receives the B side, or the A side if the call is on that side. So the radio receives on both sides. Now when you scan A side, B side is deaf and dumb. I never noticed that. So sine the A and B side are the same frequencies, if I scan whiler listening, I will just have to hope the radio comes around to the frequency of choice, or forget scanning and monitor A and B

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
That said if "A" has no transmissions in progress just simply scanning and then the wife calls me on the 'ranch' channel, shouldn't then "B" receive that transmission?

No. The only time you will hear the "ranch" channel is when it is scanned in "A"

These radios have 2 types of scannig...

Type 1: Channel scanning

0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ... 125 - 126 - 127 - 0 - 1 - 2 {and so on}

Type 2: TDR scanning

A - B - A - B - A - B {and so on}

The radio can only do 1 type of scanning at a time. So even if menu 7 (TDR) is set to ON, once you initiate channel scanning on A or B, TDR is effectively set to OFF. The display that is not being scanned is no longer being monitored. It may as well be blank.

Try this experiment.

Set TDR to ON
Set TDR-AB to OFF
Set (B) to the local NOAA weather channel
Select the top (A) line.

Since the radio is scanning between A and B, you can hear B with A selected, right?

Now with A still selected, press and hold the [*SCAN] key until scanning begins. You can no longer hear the weather radio on B because TDR is now OFF. Tap the [*] key again to exit scanning and you will hear weather radio on B again.

Remember, this is a 2-way radio that also happens to scan. It is not a scanner that also happens to transmit.

Jim KC9HI

mirrorshades

Sounds like you could use a second device if you want to do both (1) scanning, and (2) specific channel comms. I think the Baofengs are not great at multi-tasking.

Advice would be to pick up a dedicated scanner for the "scanning" tasks, and leave the 2-way for your comms needs. Note that you could even program your business channel as a priority in the scanner, to avoid needing to have 2 of them on and listening at the same time (this would save the battery on your 2-way as well).

You could even pick up a second Baofeng unit for the scanning tasks, though you'd likely be a bit happier with a purpose-built scanner for that.

bs953

Thank KCH9I,
Well that sux. So in short Leave "A" on my 'favorite' channel the cops for example (no-scan) and leave 'B' on the ranch channel....that does work by the way. Thanx That means I need to get a janglish to english translator the next time. I bought this specifically so I could scan and and use one frequency the ranch radio. Arrg also being an on call sawyer for Cal-Fire it was nice to know I could program it for those freqs and transmit. They get all butt hurt when you twank one of there radios by accident LOL One thought though, I wonder if I set the ranch radio's to send a tone or something and if 'A' is scanning it would get this unit out of stupid mode? and let me hear 'B'...? Any recommendations for an alternate radio in the Baofeng line that would do what I want? Thanx again appreciate it.

KD8DVR

When programming a channel for listening, set both menus 10 and 11 to OFF. For receiving, OFF always works. By setting these menus to any other value you will not hear anything if they are set incorrectly. Did I mention that OFF always works.

Menus 12 and 13 can also be set to OFF. Since you will not be transmitting you won't need them for opening the squelch of a remote station.

Jim KC9HI
Yes... Turn ALL tones to OFF. Then you will hear everything. Only the correct tone needs set when you transmit, which you currently cannot legally do.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

bs953

Still at it

The fat lady is not done singing yet LOL Ok I have the UV-82 all programmed and I can transmit on the 2 'emergency' channels namely fire and sheriff (yes, I can use these) but only for emergency traffic mainly because cell service up here sux bad to non existent. I did test formally up to 100 miles away and got an all clear so were good in that aspect. Now back to the ranch radios, A and B side crap driving me nutz. The Retivis will transmit a DTCS code, is there some reason that if the Bao if scanning A side with B (static) side set to ranch (DTCS rx) that if the code is received on B it wont hear it? I have tried everything from a rain dance to tree hugging and still can't get the darn thing to receive on B side while A side is scanning...I know it is a misnomer "dual watch" and I get it that it actually needs to physical different receivers built in, that said with A and B on static I can get say fire on A and ranch on B...What I can't seem to accept is that since it can do this.....well you get it....am I still pissing up a tree? My next trick is to speed up the scanning...LOL
Thanx guys.....

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
The fat lady is not done singing yet LOL Ok I have the UV-82 all programmed and I can transmit on the 2 'emergency' channels namely fire and sheriff (yes, I can use these) but only for emergency traffic mainly because cell service up here sux bad to non existent. I did test formally up to 100 miles away and got an all clear so were good in that aspect. Now back to the ranch radios, A and B side crap driving me nutz. The Retivis will transmit a DTCS code, is there some reason that if the Bao if scanning A side with B (static) side set to ranch (DTCS rx) that if the code is received on B it wont hear it? I have tried everything from a rain dance to tree hugging and still can't get the darn thing to receive on B side while A side is scanning...I know it is a misnomer "dual watch" and I get it that it actually needs to physical different receivers built in, that said with A and B on static I can get say fire on A and ranch on B...What I can't seem to accept is that since it can do this.....well you get it....am I still pissing up a tree? My next trick is to speed up the scanning...LOL
Thanx guys.....

TDR is disabled during the time the radio is scanning (the radio is incapable of doing more than 1 type of scanning at a time). In other words...

When scanning A, nothing can be received on B (because the radio is no longer listening on B).
When scanning B, nothing can be received on A (because the radio is no longer listening on A).

Jim KC9HI

bs953

Well I was afraid of that. Thanx Jim. I guess it is time to get a soldering iron out or my AR-15 or just suck it up butter cup. All that whining, I will say this though, the 'Rtevis/Bao' line of radios are tough little bastards and they do work and last all day. Next time I need to go 4 wheeling, guess I should park the beemer eh? Maybe I can marry a scanner board onto it LOL kidding but the thought has its attraction I could call it the Baostien !

SCPD

QRT
Thanx guys.....

If the fat lady gets ahold of the baofeng you'll never see it again as small as it is. Then again her voice singing probably would yield better results in long run over the spectrum.

teufler

OK, the Wouxun uv8d does what you want. I checked mine, I scan on B and when I key on A, the radio receives A. When I finish on A , B starts scanning again. My Anytone Temn8r works the same. I can scan and receive on the other side. The Wouxun costs about $30.00 more than the uv-82, they are equally as tough. More channel capacity, color screen, and alittle bigger and heavier than than the uv82. Both the Temn8r and the Wouxun uv8dr have cross band options. That could be of some assistance fire fighting. Say you are in a gorge, and the truck is on a hill, you could relay between the truck and field ops in a pinch. Years ago, I had hospital ems people that had a similar radio design that they talked through the truck when they were away from the truck, letting the truck do the heavy work. Its an option that could come inhandy, its one button to activate wnile theTemn8r has a three finger salute to get the radio in the cross band mode. Anyway, these two radios do exactly what you want. They are part 90 approved, just like the uv82 is.

DickH

... the 'Rtevis/Bao' line of radios are tough little bastards and they do work and last all day....

This may not directly help, but it may give you an alternative to think about.
I am in Portland, OR and we and the 3 contiguous counties are all on Motorola Trunked systems.

2 of the other counties simulcast their dispatch channels on Hi Band and many farther out counties are still on Hi Band and 460MHz, making the UV-82 ideal as a cheap (and better in some ways) than a regular scanner.

Here is how I run my UV-82.
In FREQUENCY MODE I have 2 dispatch channels we run mutual calls with. TDR is ON, so it scans those 2 freqs.
In CHANNEL MODE, I have all the Hi Band & 460 fireground freqs.
When I hear a dispatch of interest in FREQ. MODE, I switch to CHANNEL MODE and scan the fireground freqs. You can put in your main dispatch channel, too, so you still always get it.

Thus I can scan 2 dispatch freqs. and by just changing modes I can monitor many others.

Last edited:

bs953

Thanx Yeufler and Dick,
I think I have a Baofeng up for sale, the UV8d is indeed the ticket, plus it can do firmware updates which means I can get one of my nerds to tweak the programming. Dick, with the Baofeng although your suggestion is a good one and I did try it. Unfortunately, up here we have just for fire that would 'concern' me 4 dispatch channels different freqs and any of 4 tones, not to mention at least 3 Forest service freqs I want to hear. As to transmit I only need to get fire dispatch and for that I entered same freq on 2 channels with different tones, depending on which repeater I need to hit. Naturally the 'Ranch' channels. My solution for that was to program the 'Ranch' every other 3 channels so far that has worked. And since I am Bert Budinski nosey neighbor I have all the channels scanning tac freqs and what not. Ironically I only use one 400 mhz channel 'Ranch'. LOL But I am going to go with the UV8d. Thanx guys Side note: 'us' scanner junkies here literally listen to 50+ channels on a normal day.

DickH

... the UV8d is indeed the ticket, ...

That would NOT be my first choice.
1 - It does only 400-512, no Hi Band.
2 - There is NO display.

I think you would be better off with a UV-82HP.
1 - Full Hi-Band and 400-512 coverage.
2 - Up to 7 watts output.
3 - Normal Display
Also, firmware updates have never been offered by Baofeng. Where did you get that info.?
Firmware updates don't help in programming. I think you have been mis-informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.