• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help With Baofeng UV-82 *new user*

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaytsus

I returned my UV-8D because heavily modulated signals cause the receiver to cut in and out, making it impossible to understand anyone driving a mic. I heard on repeaters (amateur and commercial), simplex, etc.

Plus it was difficult to charge.. Impossible to read outside.... had other nice features though ;)

minasha

Question please:
On the UV-82
Using the unit as a scanner can I manually set which channels to scan and which channels to skip?
Or is this only possible with chirp.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Question please:
On the UV-82
Using the unit as a scanner can I manually set which channels to scan and which channels to skip?
Or is this only possible with chirp.

On the UV-82 (and all other similar Baofeng radios) you can only set the "scan_add" bit using software (OEM CPS or VIP software, CHIRP software and I assume the RT Systems software as well).

The recently released BTECH UV-5X3 tri-band radio sold by Baofeng Tech (and not made by Baofeng) has the ability of manually adding and removing a channel from the scan list using the keypad.

Jim KC9HI

Ginatsfan3711

Hi all,

I know this may be a redundant question but I would like to program my UV-82C with EMS channels and Id like to use it as a backup in the event that our primary radio's crap out. I've downloaded the CHIRP software and I've programmed the radio but it seems off a bit. For the record, I am not a radio person by any means...a friend of mine suggested purchasing this after we had an incident at work and since the cost is so cheap I figured why not. Any and all help would be appreciated. I have the frequencies but other than that I have no idea what I am doing! Thanks for the help!

KN4EMY

Hello, new to the Amature radio and just took receipt of this same radio. This is quite complicated for a little radio! Anyone in the Orlando area wants to give me a hand?

W8BSW

Me too

I'm having the same issue. I don't believe the radio is true "dual receive". I tested this by having two radios, the UV 82 was set with (A) highlighted and the other radio transmitting on the same frequency that was programmed in (B). I could not hear the other radio until I highlighted (B) on the UV 82. I haven't tried messing with the TDR setting, as mentioned in the other posts, but so far it seems to me that its a waste having a dual display that doesn't dual receive. My other "dual band" HAM radios Do simultaneously dual receive, but I guess I can't complaint too much since the UV 82 only cost me $30 vs $300.

nd5y

I'm having the same issue. I don't believe the radio is true "dual receive".
That's correct. TDR is like two channel scan.
It scans A and B and the one that opens the squelch first wins.
If another signal appears on the other channel you won't hear it until the first signal drops.

If you don't have TDR enabled then you only hear the selected display (the one with the arrow icon).

W8BSW

I just got this radio mainly for scanner and if needed emergencies. My issue is that I have 4 other radio's at the ranch all in the 400 Mhz range. I was able to program the UV-82 for these radios with chirp and make some other nice changes. Biggest issue is that I am scanning on (A) and have (B) fixed on the ranch radios. The problem is that when I talk on the ranch radio (B) doesn't pick it up, if I put (A) on manual (no scan) any channel (B) picks me up just fine. But then I have to put (A) back on scan...I have the ranch radio's programmed into about 10 spots (A) on the radio so that when it is 'scanning' I hear the call.
Is there something I am missing here, because I want the ranch radio to hit (B) no matter what (A) is doing...like for example on a straight scanner you can set a channel to priority and no matter where the scanner is, if there is traffic on that 'priority' channel the scanner jumps right to it...more or less...so how can I make the UV-82 do the same thing? Thanx Mac

I'm having the same issue. I don't believe the radio is true "dual receive". I tested this by having two radios, the UV 82 was set with (A) highlighted and the other radio transmitting on the same frequency that was programmed in (B). I could not hear the other radio until I highlighted (B) on the UV 82. I haven't tried messing with the TDR setting, as mentioned in the other posts, but so far it seems to me that its a waste having a dual display that doesn't dual receive. My other "dual band" HAM radios Do simultaneously dual receive, but I guess I can't complaint too much since the UV 82 only cost me $30 vs $30

Status
Not open for further replies.