• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Help with Baofeng UV5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlanta97

So I’ve been having some problems with my Baofeng, I don’t know if it’s some kind of reception issue? So far, this issue seems to only be For the two local fire departments. My local fire department; all units seem to come in fine... only up to about 1 1/2 miles or so. The local hospital is approximately, 1.6 miles from my house. Dispatch can hear radio traffic but any unit that crosses that certain amount of miles, will be completely silent For me. sometimes, they aren’t even static, just silent. Now the other FD (next town over). Not much of an issue with the fire trucks, Some ambulances are silent regardless of range, one only comes in at the station, and the fourth... okay, I guess. Fire cars are iffy on reception/audio. All other agencies... no issues, perfectly fine, crystal clear audio. I have multiple antennas, they will increase the range, but each one still gives me the same affect. (THEIR IS NO BIG DIFFERENCE FROM BEING INDOOR TO OUTDOORS, TOP OF A BUILDING/ON THE GROUND, IN A BIG FIELD/ IN A CLOSED IN AREA) so I’m a little curious to know what the problem is. Is their a fix to this?

Atlanta97

Do you have the same problem on other radios or scanners?
Do you even have a scanner or other radio to compare it to?

No, I’m new to amateur radio, this is my first. However, their is a broadcastify feed of my local agencies, and FD is complete static/silent on there as well. Which is one of the reasons I got a radio, to fix the static issue and listen to other agencies not featured on broadcastify. I can listen to other frequencies 40 or so miles away and I have no issues. Just these two departments.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can you tell us what agency this is you are attempting to listen to?

Sounds sort of like it's a simplex system and you are just not getting good reception due to lack of a high enough antenna.
Or, you are listening in on the repeater input, not the repeater output.

Giving us some more details would help.

Atlanta97

Can you tell us what agency this is you are attempting to listen to?

Sounds sort of like it's a simplex system and you are just not getting good reception due to lack of a high enough antenna.
Or, you are listening in on the repeater input, not the repeater output.

Giving us some more details would help.

you can find the agencies on broadcastify. Maine > York County > Biddeford and Saco Police, fire, EMS .

nd5y

you can find the agencies on broadcastify. Maine > York County > Biddeford and Saco Police, fire, EMS .
According to the database (which may or may not be accurate) Biddeford PD is P25 digital and the dispatch channel is encrypted.
You can't receive P25 or any other digital modes on a Baofeng.
You can't receive encrypted transmissions on any radio.
Almost everything else on that page is analog.
If the database is outdated and the departments you want to listen to are now digital then you will not be able to receive them.
Due to your particular location you may or may not be able to receive a particular station due to terrain, other factors, or because Baofengs have crappy receivers. It doesn't matter that you might be able to receive other stations in other locations.

Last edited:

N1GAW

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried entering the receive frequency without the PL code? Maybe that has changed. But as @nd5y said (except for Biddeford PD) the dispatch channels are analog on a repeater. The only other issue might be your location.

That said, remember the Baofeng UV5R is a cheap transceiver and the old adage goes you get what you pay for. Having a regular scanner would improve the reception. You can pick up a used analog scanner for as little as $35 on Radio Reference Whistler WS-1010 Scanner $35 shipped

Atlanta97

Have you tried entering the receive frequency without the PL code? Maybe that has changed. But as @nd5y said (except for Biddeford PD) the dispatch channels are analog on a repeater. The only other issue might be your location.

That said, remember the Baofeng UV5R is a cheap transceiver and the old adage goes you get what you pay for. Having a regular scanner would improve the reception. You can pick up a used analog scanner for as little as $35 on Radio Reference Whistler WS-1010 Scanner $35 shipped

explain the “receive frequency and the PL code”, Are you saying you can enter said code when inputting the frequency? I usually just enter the frequency, then leave it at that. I’m very new to the world of radio, still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.