help with BC250D

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthayer

Is there any help with my Uniden BC250D scanner ? for the New Banding ? I have others and I'll get the Models #'s but they are older then one I just mention.....if it dosn't work any suggestions for a New One?

All of my Scanners have worked up in til this morning 10-10-11...... This last I have used 2 800 trunk groups (866-868) Thank You for any help !!!

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Is there any help with my Uniden BC250D scanner ? for the New Banding ? I have others and I'll get the Models #'s but they are older then one I just mention.....if it dosn't work any suggestions for a New One?

All of my Scanners have worked up in til this morning 10-10-11...... This last I have used 2 800 trunk groups (866-868) Thank You for any help !!!

No, there's nothing you can do about the BC250 - it's not capable of trunking a rebanded system.

Read all about it here: Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

There are plenty of topics here on the board about scanners that support rebanding. My recommendation is a BC396XT (handheld). I had a BC250 myself, and loved it. I love my 396. Nuff said.

Prepare to get an education, the new radios are NOTHING like the old bank and channel radios as I am sure you're used to.

Good luck!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
SRRCS needs a rebanding capable scanner

Sorry to hear that your radio won't work with the updated Sacramento system. There are a LOT of choice you can make these days.....

One is whether to get a digital scanner or stick with analog. Slowly more and more channels are going digital.

Another decision might be whether or not to get one of the more-or-less pre-programmed scanners like Home Patrol or PSR-800. They work more like an MP3 player than a traditional scanner.

Then of course there are base models and hand-held models. And like davedaver1 pointed out; some are "bank oriented" and some are "object oriented".

Another decision might be whether to stick with a Uniden or get a GRE brand. They are different animals.

The Wiki section here has info on all the newest scanners. Check out your favorite Unidens and check out GRE models like PSR-310 (analog) or PSR-500 (digital).

Last edited:

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
I have to say, I've had more fun with these two radios (396XT and 996XT) than I've ever had before. Programming and using them (whether "object-oriented" as with the GRE/RS radios or DMA, as with the Unidens) has made things much better. I've never in 40 years of monitoring and scanning had so much programmed stuff at my fingertips. It even takes little time to set up for travelling, and restoring for home is a snap.

The older radios are still worthwhile for lots, but upgrading to something new may bring a new dimension to your listening!

K

kb0nly

Unless you can find a BC296, the portable version of the BC796D (the BC250 is the portable version of the BC785D), you will have to move up to a newer model and learn all over!

The 296/796 can be updated for rebanded systems. I have two 796's and they work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.