Help with BCD325P for a blind person

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have also looked at close-up photos of many different scanners looking for the tiny bump on the 5 key... the BCD 325 P2 and the pro 96 don't have it but the SDS 100 and 200 do have it and the 436 and 536 do have it. It's hard to see but if you rub your finger on the five button you'll feel the scratchiness of it.

It's not really necessary because someone who's totally blind can learn the keyboard just by feeling and someone telling them what each button does, as I was saying the increase in other senses and concentration will allow someone to learn what each button does, from a starting point of the upper left, it's just so much easier to start from 5.

It's similar to how someone who is totally blind can walk around their home with ease.. they actually count steps from doorways to walls or from a left turn or right turn.

K0UT

Premium Subscriber
I actually thought I had posted these photos. I thought for sure I did earlier today but I think I have some stuff missing in This Thread also which would account for why nobody responded to it. First I will show the SDS 100, then the 436. Let's see if this works.
View attachment 126583

And this is the 436
View attachment 126584

I looked at a close-up of the 325 P2 and it does not have the dot next to the five which is a clear violation of the law in regard to the American Disabilities Act.
Well, you got me thinking and looking. My Yaesu FT3D is touchscreen, and my Anytone does not have a dimple. This thread has given me new insight into what the blind and vision impaired have to deal with.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well, you got me thinking and looking. My Yaesu FT3D is touchscreen, and my Anytone does not have a dimple. This thread has given me new insight into what the blind and vision impaired have to deal with.
Thanks everyone for your input. Key point is the KISS principle. Another thing is to perhaps enhance the "5" key.
You would be amazed at the products that are made for the Blind and Visually Impaired, for example there's a very simple device that someone can put on the side of their coffee cup that has a sensor inside the cup and as they pour a cup of coffee when it reaches a certain level in the cup it beeps so they don't pour hot coffee all over the table, there's a device that you can scan a piece of clothing and it will verbally tell you what color it is. Visually impaired can take a bank check and insert it into a plastic holder that has openings at all the key places like the date, who you writing the check to, the amount, the memo and your signature.

I enjoyed my time working with the blind and Visually Impaired. One of the main assets for them is their white cane and a seeing eye dog.

One of the things I focused on was mobility training using the cane, there's a lot more to it than you think, especially fitting it properly for the proper angle, rubber balls and other additions you can put on the tip of the cane that meets the street and curbs, just the fact the cane is white with a red section serves the purpose of letting everyone around know someone is blind.

With regard to a dog there are certain breeds that do better than others. When the harnesses is off they're just happy go lucky friendly smart dogs but the minute that harness goes on their personality completely changes and they are on duty. Nothing gets in the way of that, they're completely vigilant at all times and on the job. Nothing can distract them from their mission. It's amazing to see.

As far as modifying the number five key, it's simple, it's almost a surgical procedure but you would cut a very small square of 3M double-sided foam tape of which most of us in this field have hanging around and make it the size of the button. Then make a surgical cut of a square of Gorilla Tape or the real brand duck tape, probably better off with the duck tape, when it comes to that size of a piece, duck tape is a little thinner and definitely sticks better and is more moldable. Place that over the small square of foam tape so that there's enough surface on the faceplate to secure it tightly.

Check back with everybody on your progress and if you hit any roadblocks, the KISS principal is imperative and might take some creative thinking to reduce the possibility of him totally getting lost. Good luck with your noble project.

sfb88

If the blind person is able to operate a computer, I wonder if Pro Scan could develop a module to add to their program that would translate voice commands to scanner control commands.

scanman56

Some people know here that I'm a retired newspaper reporter and then assistant editor of a large 7-Day a week Daily newspaper who started off as a news photographer then photo editor, but I started off my career as a registered nurse, not only do I have my degree in nursing but I also have an advanced degree in public health and I always volunteered for the associated services for the blind in Philadelphia. I understand, 100% blind from birth, not visually impaired.

In general a person like that is incredibly gifted with their other senses and very intelligent.

The reason he is able to negotiate the keyboard is, as standard, the number five has a tiny little indentation dot which then acclimates him to the keyboard.

My Pro 96 was a pretty difficult radio to negotiate but YOU programmed it so basically all he had to do was negotiate the keyboard. The 325 should be the same way and as accurately pointed out uses the same keyboard.

As far as resetting the radio if he screws something up I wouldn't worry about that. What's going to be a roadblock for him is something really simple and stupid that you probably could even explain over the phone. As I'm sure you already know, the KISS principle is imperative here. Very simple and limited access to very specific things to listen to, not more than half a dozen. Keep us posted.

hello trentbob,

i've gotta tell you, nurses are special people. i've been blessed - my grandmother (d1971) and wife are nurses. thank you sir.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If the blind person is able to operate a computer, I wonder if Pro Scan could develop a module to add to their program that would translate voice commands to scanner control commands.
I'm not totally familiar with it but there is a lot of programs out there for the blind to assist in using a computer. Usually it's for visually impaired people who have partial vision. Plus there's high contrast screens, magnifiers and other easier accessible options just like cell phones too. Sounds like a viable idea, not a huge market so it would depend if it was cost-effective.

K0UT

Premium Subscriber
You would be amazed at the products that are made for the Blind and Visually Impaired, for example there's a very simple device that someone can put on the side of their coffee cup that has a sensor inside the cup and as they pour a cup of coffee when it reaches a certain level in the cup it beeps so they don't pour hot coffee all over the table, there's a device that you can scan a piece of clothing and it will verbally tell you what color it is. Visually impaired can take a bank check and insert it into a plastic holder that has openings at all the key places like the date, who you writing the check to, the amount, the memo and your signature.

I enjoyed my time working with the blind and Visually Impaired. One of the main assets for them is their white cane and a seeing eye dog.

One of the things I focused on was mobility training using the cane, there's a lot more to it than you think, especially fitting it properly for the proper angle, rubber balls and other additions you can put on the tip of the cane that meets the street and curbs, just the fact the cane is white with a red section serves the purpose of letting everyone around know someone is blind.

With regard to a dog there are certain breeds that do better than others. When the harnesses is off they're just happy go lucky friendly smart dogs but the minute that harness goes on their personality completely changes and they are on duty. Nothing gets in the way of that, they're completely vigilant at all times and on the job. Nothing can distract them from their mission. It's amazing to see.

As far as modifying the number five key, it's simple, it's almost a surgical procedure but you would cut a very small square of 3M double-sided foam tape of which most of us in this field have hanging around and make it the size of the button. Then make a surgical cut of a square of Gorilla Tape or the real brand duck tape, probably better off with the duck tape, when it comes to that size of a piece, duck tape is a little thinner and definitely sticks better and is more moldable. Place that over the small square of foam tape so that there's enough surface on the faceplate to secure it tightly.

Check back with everybody on your progress and if you hit any roadblocks, the KISS principal is imperative and might take some creative thinking to reduce the possibility of him totally getting lost. Good luck with your noble project.
Will do. Thanks again.

K0UT

Premium Subscriber
Good question. I know a couple of hams, one blind and the other visually impaired, that can navigate a computer quite well. Unfortunately, this is not the case with my friend. That would still be a quite nice addition to ProScan.

K0UT

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that would be nice!

Scan125

I have a blind user of my Scan125 and have given him private version that "speaks" as to what the program controls are about. What I have provided is just a "stab" (much yet to do/address) which thankfully got him over a threshold coupled with his screen reader software.

.NET (well certainly VB .NET) supports audio speaking for each of the "items".

That said this is NOT easy to retro fit to and already fully functional piece of software depending on the user interface complexity etc.

When one gets into spreadsheet like forms (as opposed to singular entities) then ......... my head hurts.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that software for the blind has to be written and designed from the ground up.

On old 1980+ text and field based terminals then adding/incorporating blind user support was relatively easy. Fixed screen layout, tab to field, speak contents. Today modern graphical UIs present a completely different problem/challenge!

K0UT

Premium Subscriber
I have a blind user of my Scan125 and have given him private version that "speaks" as to what the program controls are about. What I have provided is just a "stab" (much yet to do/address) which thankfully got him over a threshold coupled with his screen reader software.

.NET (well certainly VB .NET) supports audio speaking for each of the "items".

That said this is NOT easy to retro fit to and already fully functional piece of software depending on the user interface complexity etc.

When one gets into spreadsheet like forms (as opposed to singular entities) then ......... my head hurts.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that software for the blind has to be written and designed from the ground up.

On old 1980+ text and field based terminals then adding/incorporating blind user support was relatively easy. Fixed screen layout, tab to field, speak contents. Today modern graphical UIs present a completely different problem/challenge!
Yes, good points. How well he can interface with the BCD325P and its keyboard is a concern. But, with all of the comments, I think I can configure the radio so that he can use it -- KISS principle at work. As noted before, my scanner friend is not computer literate, which may limit options.

Status
Not open for further replies.