Help with BCD996t in Elkhart Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freebird1

I was wondering if anyone can help me program a BCD996T I got from my father who just passed away last week and we both tried to no avail to program this thing. I have a BCT8 and had no trouble setting it up but this new one is beyond me so if there is anyone locally that could be of assistance I would greatly appreciate it!

Freebird1

I am getting closer to understanding this scanner but i still dont know how to scan just the frequencies or groups for my area. For instance it still scans all the nationwide groups and ham, FM, etc. etc. so if anyone has some hints for me I would appreciate it!

Freebird1

OK I got the groups thinned down but now I think i need help in the antenna dept.! I have one that my Dad had bought for it and it looks like a cellular ant. but has a coax hookup and it only says "AS" on it and no model number.....any help would be greatly appreciated! The "stock" antenna seems to work better than this one and I find that hard to believe since it has like a 20ft. cable and I can place it in different ares of my listening area!

ten78

Included with the manual is a paper with the heading- Scanner Programming: Man-Machine interface. If you have it, use that as a place to start. It has the basics for programming both the conventional and the trunked systems. It's kinda like a quick reference or a cheat sheet. The manual contains so much information that is a little intimidating. This radio, in my opinion, seems hard to understand because it stores iformation in groups and sites rather than banks.

Freebird1

I have figured out of the past weekend how to narrow my search but i am not sure I am getting all the trunked channels and I still have yet to succefully link this thing to my CPU. I got this from my Dad and he is no longer with us so i am not sure what happened to the paper you are talking about but i do have the original and a different manual ( I think he just enlarged one so he could see it) Now i am wondering what kind of antenna to use also since the mag base one he had on it doesnt seem to pick up too well, the original one works way better but i do have a tower right outside my listening area so i am thinking of getting a good one and putting it on the tower outside! Are in Elk. County? I would love to find some help locally! I will buy lunch or dinner

fire4456

10-78 pm dswarnke and tell him todd sent you. he is a EFD fireman and also a ham. he can help you a lot. I used to live in Elkhart but am now down in Indianapolis. But still have a lot of info for up there. If you need anything let me know but Ds should be able to help you.

Freebird1

Thank you so much! I wish I had found R/R while my Dad was alive so he could have enjoyed his scanner! From the bottom of my heart I cannot thank you enough for helping me with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.