Help With BCT15X Setup Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshirley1964

Greetings!
This is my first experience with a scanner and had no idea I would need to take a course of some sort to operate it.

I bought this cable for it but think I got the wrong one.
FTDI Uniden Scanner Remote Interface Programming cable BCD996T BCD996XT USB-1 | eBay

I also downloaded the "FreeScan" software I have seen mentioned in other related threads but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I have no idea what i am doing and am about ready to box it up and return it because i am evidently just too stoopid to operate it.

I have ~20 browser tabs open with related crap and ~5 hairs left in my head.
please help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you look at the entry, it says the system is deprecated, meaning it isn't being used anymore. If your area has moved to AWIN, then the 15x won't decode this system. You would need a digital trunktracker.

Before going further a question or two in our Arkansas forum is in order, barring anyone from that area coming in here and making the call

Mike

tomcox

I was banging my head against that technology wall this weekend, too. After getting my RR premium status established, I used the Uniden cable and ProScan software, and spent the rest of the time downloading data from RR and shoveling it into the radio. I lost my programming once, by wiping it out while trying to update the weather FIPS system, and re-downloaded it with some changes that were an improvement overall. (This was the "aversive therapy" I needed to SAVE THE PROGRAMS at frequent intervals, and to learn that exporting and saving are not the same.) I'm in a rural area which really reduces the work load, but I still uploaded plenty of nationwide and statewide systems.

Get the right cable, install the drivers FIRST, and carry on.

mshirley1964

Screw it all.
Am returning scanner for a refund.

Thanks for the help guys. the digital models are just more than i care to spend on this plus i don't want to go back to school to learn all this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.