Help with BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevytruckin365

Premium Subscriber
Hello all I am seeking help with BCT15X
recently new purchase via E bay (I know)
I need help setting this thing up apparently it is childproof
is there any one close by Kyle, Austin, San Marcos that can help
heck i'll even go to San Antonio or come to me I'll Pay reasonable rate of course.
Of course all reason and sanity is gone by now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have bought serial com to USB cable to convert over, tried a multitude of times to download driver, but to no avail downloaded Free Scan to help program but window 7 computer does not see scanner.... I'm at wit's end. I need this for mobile use in P.O.V i am a volunteer Fire cadet for a couple of Fire district's

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Your first issue is to load the drivers for the USB cable you purchased. Then use Windows Device Manager to make sure that the port the drivers allocated is really available. This article from our wiki describes this... (all links are always blue in color)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Next, you need to set up the ports on the scanner itself. This article from the FreeScan user guide describes this...

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

Then, only then, a Jedi will you be....err..only then are you ready to connect the PC and scanner (sorry slipped into Yoda mode for a moment, there...)

This article contains all the links to information you will need. One of the biggest is to get the Easier to Read manual, the links for which is at the bottom of...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

This is not a plug and play scanner. It takes some thought and learning to work with DMA. Take your time, you'll get there...HTH...Mike

Chevytruckin365

Premium Subscriber
BCT15X Problems

Im all the way to point of connecting com port to PC have driver installed for patch cord and connected to
scanner. But scanner is not seen at computer tried all baud rates tried top section of search manually input baud rate and automatic search still does not see it i think i grown a few more grey hairs retryin this again
This the spot im getting stuck at every time have tried moving to other USB ports on PC NUTHIN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tweekerbob

Which data port on the scanner are you using. The big serial connector on the back or the little square looking one on the front?

Like Mike suggested, it is imperative you set up the scanner itself to "turn on" its communication ports. This can be done in the settings menu of the scanner and the specific how-to is linked to in Mike's post above. THIS IS A MUST, otherwise I believe the rear port is disabled by default, so it must be turned on if it is to be used.

Second, if you are using the rear port, you must use what's called a null modem cable or null modem adapter in order to communicate with the scanner from your PC. The original intent of that port was to communicate with a peripheral device (GPS) and because of that it is wired slightly differently than if it was to communicate with a PC right out the gate.

Your local computer/electronics store probably carries null modem cables/adapters. Otherwise they are pretty cheap on Amazon, eBay, and other fine online retail establishments.

BCT15X

Something you have not mentioned is are you using Windows7 64bit? there appears to be lack of comm ports in the 64bit edition, even though they show up in device manager and it shows my USB to serial adapter, and I can make changes to comm port speed etc. I encountered this with my desktop computer and it was driving me crazy, I had to dig out my old netbook that has windows XP on it to get the port to talk to the scanner.

TN Scanman

Chevytruckin365

Premium Subscriber
I am using front port on scanner set scanner to communicate through front port at least i think i've done step by step on scanner to communicate through front port and tried at all Baud rates each time i get no Comm error message I have old Dell Latitude Lap Dinosaur but i cant it to start up I've run that thing into the ground ... I bought the cable and modem adapter from Ardent systems but ordered modem adapter female/female not male/female thats what i get for ordering at 3am .. What i want to know is WHY Uniden make's it s dang gone Hard to do this or is it so simple it's stupid .... I'm Gonna try again Thursday when im off

Status
Not open for further replies.