Help With Control Channel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DeS_

Greetings all..Was wondering if someone could offer me a hand here. I just recently bought a RS Pro-97. Checking in the DATABASE for my area, Glace Bay Cape Breton Canada, I have located the control channels for my local site. I have decided to program my pro 97 with a control channel just to start off. Here is where i run into trouble. The first CC for my site gives me nothing but a constant data transmisson kind of noise im guessing. So i move on to the next couple, they give me nothing, until the last one listed. This give me some transmissons but only local ambulance and some private operator, I know that my local police and varios other groups operate on the trunked motorola system, so I would assume the local police would be heard on that site. Any idea why or what im doing wrong here... Any help is greatly apprecaited. Thanks

Last edited:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
If I understand the question correctly, there is only one control channel active at one time. But, they switch depending on the day, so make sure you program all of them into the bank. When you have them programmed, you can start scanning, the scanner automatically receives the other non-control channels for you.

Hope this helps :)

seamusg

_DeS_ said:
Greetings all..Was wondering if someone could offer me a hand here. I just recently bought a RS Pro-97. Checking in the DATABASE for my area, Glace Bay Cape Breton Canada, I have located the control channels for my local site. I have decided to program my pro 97 with a control channel just to start off. Here is where i run into trouble. The first CC for my site gives me nothing but a constant data transmisson kind of noise im guessing. So i move on to the next couple, they give me nothing, until the last one listed. This give me some transmissons but only local ambulance and some private operator, I know that my local police and varios other groups operate on the trunked motorola system, so I would assume the local police would be heard on that site. Any idea why or what im doing wrong here... Any help is greatly apprecaited. Thanks
1. set the bank to MOT
2. program in the control channel and set it to MOT
It should now scan. Data tranmission is what a control channel does, it tells the scanner what voice channel to goto.

Last edited:

_DeS_

Hey Thanks for the replies guys...First off as far as I know my site doesnt switch CC its always the same unless i misunderstood. Secondly, I have programmed the CC as you have stated and still only receive Ambulance and some local operator... I'm at a loss here...

seamusg

_DeS_ said:
Hey Thanks for the replies guys...First off as far as I know my site doesnt switch CC its always the same unless i misunderstood. Secondly, I have programmed the CC as you have stated and still only receive Ambulance and some local operator... I'm at a loss here...
Are you getting Talk Group numbers? Also are you using Win97 to program with and which system and site are you programing?

Last edited:

_DeS_

seamusg said:
Are you getting Talk Group numbers? Also are you using Win97 to program with and which system and site are you programing?

No TGID's do not show up...and no I'am not using win97, im very new to this and win97 seemed a bit much for me right now...lol...and im programing a motorola type II system. its listed in the Canada, nova scotia section of the database...

seamusg

_DeS_ said:
No TGID's do not show up...and no I'am not using win97, im very new to this and win97 seemed a bit much for me right now...lol...and im programing a motorola type II system. its listed in the Canada, nova scotia section of the database...
I saw that system in the database and noticed that some of the sites don't have a CC listed and that most of the PD is digital, which the PRO97 won't receive, I've only programed a PRO97 with Win97. I don't have a PRO97, but have programed one for a friend. I have a PRO96, BC796 and a PRO2052. If you're not getting TGID's you don't have the Control channel programed in with the Bank and channel set to MOT. The control channel is the one with the data noise and doesnot have voice traffic on it. The scanner only needs the control channel on a MOT system, but the bank and channel both have to be set to MOT.

V

VE9MP

On the TMR network (ASTRO SamrtZone OmniLink 3.5) the control channels never normally switch channels at a site, unless on of the tech's is working on something and needs to shut something down, doesn't happen all that often....

Cape Breton Regional Police are on VHF, not the TMR, they only have 1 talkgroup setup for Mutual Aid with the RCMP on 00624....RCMP are using P25 Digital on most talkgroups and DES-OFB on a few others, they only run analog on Mutual Aid channels.

_DeS_

seamusg said:
I saw that system in the database and noticed that some of the sites don't have a CC listed and that most of the PD is digital, which the PRO97 won't receive, I've only programed a PRO97 with Win97. I don't have a PRO97, but have programed one for a friend. I have a PRO96, BC796 and a PRO2052. If you're not getting TGID's you don't have the Control channel programed in with the Bank and channel set to MOT. The control channel is the one with the data noise and doesnot have voice traffic on it. The scanner only needs the control channel on a MOT system, but the bank and channel both have to be set to MOT.

Awsome, I think thats what I done wrong.....When i programmed the channel with the Data Noise, I dont think I set the channel & bank to MOT. Ill give it a shot with win97 when I get home...With the noisey control channel programmed and set to MOT, should I see TGIDs and not hear that nasty noise ?

Also..Can other individual freqs be in the same bank as the control channel ??? or does that control channel have to be programmed alone and am i able to program more then one control channel in the same bank ?

Thanks for all the Help guys...

seamusg

_DeS_ said:
Awsome, I think thats what I done wrong.....When i programmed the channel with the Data Noise, I dont think I set the channel & bank to MOT. Ill give it a shot with win97 when I get home...With the noisey control channel programmed and set to MOT, should I see TGIDs and not hear that nasty noise ?

Also..Can other individual freqs be in the same bank as the control channel ??? or does that control channel have to be programmed alone and am i able to program more then one control channel in the same bank ?

Thanks for all the Help guys...
You can put convention freqs in the same bank. Just set the mode correctly to AM or FM what ever it is. You're not going to hear a lot on the Trunked system since only the MA and EMS TG's are analog. RCMP are digital. Look at the database for the conventional freqs for your area. Attached are two examples of Win97 for TMR site 406 in bank 0 and CapeBreton in bank 1

Last edited:

_DeS_

seamusg said:
You can put convention freqs in the same bank. Just set the mode correctly to AM or FM what ever it is. You're not going to hear a lot on the Trunked system since only the MA and EMS TG's are analog. RCMP are digital. Look at the database for the conventional freqs for your area. Attached are two examples of Win97 for TMR site 406 in bank 0 and CapeBreton in bank 1

Ok thats a big help...my only other question is in the lower right hand corner...Do I have to put TGIDS in there or does it matter ?

seamusg

_DeS_ said:
Ok thats a big help...my only other question is in the lower right hand corner...Do I have to put TGIDS in there or does it matter ?
Only if you want it to display what it is, if you leave the bank in the open mode you will hear all TGID's. You can put what ever text you want for a TG alpha tag, if Iremember correctly you're limmited to 12 characters. I monitor the State of MIchigan's statewide system and with 1300 plus TGID's on it the alpha tags help.

Status
Not open for further replies.