BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Help with DMR upgrade (996P2)

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I got my upgrade (DMR) key for my BCD996P2 scanner. But the key has LETTERS in it as well as NUMBERS. How do I enter letters from scanners keypad? UPDATE: OK I figured it out. Tested on local DMR Ham repeater and its working. How would I program this DMR business repeater system: Industrial Communications and Electronics Site: Johnston (RI). How do you enter talk groups?

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Use the knob to scroll through each character until you get the one you're looking for. Same method as naming a system or group by hand. I can't speak for the 996P2 but pressing the number 6 advances to the next character on the 536HP, I'd assume it's the same. pressing 4 allows you to go back a character

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Use the knob to scroll through each character until you get the one you're looking for. Same method as naming a system or group by hand. I can't speak for the 996P2 but pressing the number 6 advances to the next character on the 536HP, I'd assume it's the same. pressing 4 allows you to go back a character
Yep, the 4 is your backspace, and the 6 is your scroll right one space at a time.

I got my upgrade (DMR) key for my BCD996P2 scanner. But the key has LETTERS in it as well as NUMBERS. How do I enter letters from scanners keypad?
When you enter a character, whether it's a letter (only A thru F are used) or a number (0 thru 9), then scroll right to the next one. Pay close attention in that a letter B could be mistaken (on the display) for an 8, or vice versa.

Be sure to also enter the "Dash", '-' between the groups of characters, and do not hit the Enter key until all of the characters are entered. If you hit the right edge of the display before entering the last item or to, just go head and select it. It will word-rap to the next line without you needing to do anything else first.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yep, the 4 is your backspace, and the 6 is your scroll right one space at a time.

When you enter a character, whether it's a letter (only A thru F are used) or a number (0 thru 9), then scroll right to the next one. Pay close attention in that a letter B could be mistaken (on the display) for an 8, or vice versa.

Be sure to also enter the "Dash", '-' between the groups of characters, and do not hit the Enter key until all of the characters are entered. If you hit the right edge of the display before entering the last item or to, just go head and select it. It will word-rap to the next line without you needing to do anything else first.
OK Thanks....didnt get instructions with key but I figured it out. Need to program a DMR comercial site system now. If I can figure that out.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK Thanks....didnt get instructions with key but I figured it out. Need to program a DMR comercial site system now. If I can figure that out.
If it is in the database (in Sentinel), just append to a list.

If it is in the database (but not Sentonel, because there are no assigned talkgroups yet), just import it with ProScan or ARC536 if you have either, since you are a Premium Subscriber.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If it is in the database (in Sentinel), just append to a list.

If it is in the database (but not Sentonel, because there are no assigned talkgroups yet), just import it with ProScan or ARC536 if you have either, since you are a Premium Subscriber.
Does the 996P2 use Sentinel?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As for software, that would be either ProScan or ARC-XT (not ARC-536). Don't think of using FreeScan since it doesn't support DMR programming

Mike

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK Thank you, got it all programmed. The Industrial Communications system has a TON of stuff to listen to. I have been listening on my SDR Trunk but audio is much better on scanner. Glad I did the upgrade!