Help with downloading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningman_77

hey everyone. Let me start off by saying that i'm fairly new to scanning and i'm not very good with computers. I'm aware that there are different downloadable programs that you can use to program a BR330T. Does anyone have any expirience with any of these programs, and if so, have any opinion on which is better? Also, please explain to me what updating FIRMWARE is in reguards to a scanner and if i can do this on a BR330T... So much info creates so many questions... (I understand i need a USB cable to connect w/ the computer... Bit rate on the scanner and Bit rate on the comp must be equal???)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
'Slow down, you move too fast...you got to make the morning last just...'

(famous line from an old 60s song - but very appropriate here)

Let's take your questions one at a time (anything in blue is a link);

a. There are many programs out there for the 300. Most people start off with the Uniden Advanced System director (or UASD), which is available from the Uniden website (which as I understand it, has been up and down the last couple of days..). However there are also the freeware FreeScan and BCTool. No doubt that ARC330 (available from Scanner Master) is the champ, and there are others too...All of these are popular, and some keep more than 1 package on their machines for different purposes. You can get a list of links in the software section of:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BR330T

b. Since the 330 has been discontinued, I kinda doubt that there are any new Firmware releases; however, if you register your radio at the Uniden website, you can find this out for yourself. If a firmware update is needed we'll answer that later...

c. The biggest hangups with USB cables is not matching speed, but making sure you assign an open COM port. Check with Device Manager to insure that when you load the USB software, you are assigning to a port that is not being used by something else. There are different flavors of Windows, so where device manager is may vary; under XP, click on Control Panel, double click System, then Hardware.

73 Mike

n2mdk

By now hopefully your "Feelin' Groovy"
One of the things you should do is get yourself a Premium Membership to this site so you can use one of the softwares that allows direct downloading. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/
There are 3 programs that allow this the 2 free ones mentioned by Mike BCTool and FreeScan and ARC330 that has to be purchased.
Firmware is upgradeable but you need to check which version you have It's in the Menu under Settings>See Scanner Info.
If it needs updating you can get the firmware uploader and firmware from the Uniden website by registering there.
Just as an sidebar, the name of the song is The 59th Street Bridge Song and not Feelin' Groovy, and although most people call it the 59th Street Bridge, myself included, it's actually The Queensboro Bridge.

Last edited:

burningman_77

Firmware for 330T

ah ha! just looked at the uniden website and discovered that there is a a new firmware version that i don't have... I curently have version 1.00.02 and i found a firmware update to version 1.01.05. The site also says that initial production units have version 1.01.03... which leads me to believe that i'm way behind in this matter.

n2mdk

The last firmware update that is on the Uniden site is 1.03.06. I installed that version when I got mine from Uniden about 2 months ago.

burningman_77

n2mdk: thank you you have been extremely helpful answering questions for a newb to scanning. i suppose that i only need to upgrade to the latest firmware version b/c the newest one will have all the updates that the older versions contained as well...Am i right???

Status
Not open for further replies.