Help with DSD Plus (receiving)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Its been a LONG time since I used this and need some help. I DO have the program working as far as installed (did copy .dll files over into DSDPlus folder) and seems to "run" but I don't remember how to set it up for listening to agencies. I have SDR Sharp all configured and running, using VB audio cable. Here is a DMR trunked site I want to check out: Scituate Site Details (OneVoice Network) I put control freq in SDR SHARP but got this error. I know I am missing some steps. I remember some VERY confusing text files to configure for trunking systems. Here is my local P25 simulcast site: Metro Prov which I would like to test out too. And lastly, an NXDN system: Johnston Site Details (Data Radio Management (NXDN)) I vaguely remember having to start a few batch files to get DSDPlus to stat decoding....but the editing of those files was very difficult to understand the syntax used. Since I last used this program, there have been more DMR and NXDN activity in the area. I am using an RTL-SDR dongle hooked up to an OMNI-X antenna. PC is an HP Z420 with 32GB RAM and a XEON processor.

Attachments

• error1.JPG
    error1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 29

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Here's a link to my website that might help you out a little. DSD Plus and more.
OK Thanks...I just realized when I paid for the Fastlane edition, I only got 1 email, back in Sep 2020 regarding an update. I still have the email. It has a password on it but I cant down load fastlane anywhere. Is it possible to just use the FREE version of DSD Plus? I remember at the time I had switched over to using SDR TRunk to listen to my local P25 system cause DSDPlus was such a tremendous hassle to set up. But SDR Trunk doesnt do NXDN and there is an increase of that here now. So I figured I would try DSDPlus again.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
OK Thanks...I just realized when I paid for the Fastlane edition, I only got 1 email, back in Sep 2020 regarding an update. I still have the email. It has a password on it but I cant down load fastlane anywhere. Is it possible to just use the FREE version of DSD Plus? I remember at the time I had switched over to using SDR TRunk to listen to my local P25 system cause DSDPlus was such a tremendous hassle to set up. But SDR Trunk doesnt do NXDN and there is an increase of that here now. So I figured I would try DSDPlus again.
Just change the version number on the link in you email

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Just change the version number on the link in you email
OK I followed all instructions on the video and everything seems to be working except the only audio I am getting is the control channel noise. Signal bar is all green, strong signal. I set Unitrunker to monitor a P25 site, 853.875 mhz. I filled in all the data like you said in video. Not sure about what to adjust in Windows Sound.....Got the VB cable working OK.....Not sure where to look now. I have the same system on scanner and when theres a transmission it comes thru on scanner but not Unitrunk. (?) I did notice "Health" is "100" in VCO 1 and "0" in VCO 2.

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
In the menu on DSDPlus there is an option to check for latest version. It can then download updates if there are any.

FMP24 does not use VB cable.

slicerwizard

I remember some VERY confusing text files to configure for trunking systems.
The .frequencies file isn't particularly confusing. It's the only file that has to be edited to follow most non-P25 trunked sites. Nothing has to be edited to follow P25 sites or NEXEDGE/TIII DFA systems.

I vaguely remember having to start a few batch files to get DSDPlus to stat decoding....
Notes.txt tells you to run the FMP24-CC.bat file and the 1R.bat file. Not complicated.

but the editing of those files was very difficult to understand the syntax used.
They likely don't need any editing.

I put control freq in SDR SHARP but got this error.
The error is that you're using SDR#.

I dont know what the new version is though.
It's 2.360

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I was able to get a new update for DSD plus Fastlane. Followed all directions for installation. But what I am reading on here is different from what the help files are saying regarding how to edit those text files with the correct syntax for P25, NXDN and DMR....I remember way back when I first started to use DSD Plus about a year ago I went through the same thing with utter confusion on how to get things to work. Once I did get it working I left it alone for a long time. I dont remember how to set it up, its been too long and my memory aint what it used to be. I understand I DONT need to use SDR Sharp. I understand FMP24 does not require VB Cable...got that. I have 3 systems I want to listen to. I want to start with the local P25 system which has 3 sites I will monitor. I am looking at the syntax on how to enter data in the "sitesloader" file...but I also need to enter the frequencies in someplace too. It says for frequencies for P25, the freq data has to be entered in the DSDPlus.P25data file. I cant find any ORDER in which to edit these text files. I see the SAMPLES for entering P25....like" P25, BEE11.123, 0, "Mulberry PS" OK so that goes into the SITELOADER file and freqs go into the dsdplus.P25data file. Thats as far as I can go without losing my place. Also when I run 1r.bat and fmp24.bat I get "missing libffw3f-3.dll" error and also errors saying wrong syntax in the sitesloader file?????

Last edited:

slicerwizard

OK I was able to get a new update for DSD plus Fastlane. Followed all directions for installation.
I don't think so.

when I run 1r.bat and fmp24.bat I get "missing libffw3f-3.dll" error
Notes.txt, Setup:

Download this file to your DSD+ folder:

https://www.dsdplus.com/dsdplusuploads/FastLane/libfftw3f-3.dll

I want to start with the local P25 system which has 3 sites I will monitor. I am looking at the syntax on how to enter data in the "sitesloader" file...but I also need to enter the frequencies in someplace too. It says for frequencies for P25, the freq data has to be entered in the DSDPlus.P25data file.
No, the .P25data file is auto-populated by DSD+. You just have to manually tune FMP24 to a local site's control channel. IIRC, DSD+ will load the .P25data file with the control channels for that site and for all of its neighbour sites. At that point, DSD+ knows how to tune to all of those sites.

Notes.txt, Single-dongle monitoring:

If FMPx is tuned to a P25 control channel, DSD+ will automatically start trunk tracking
and decoding unencrypted Phase I and Phase II voice traffic.

Nothing about needing to edit any files to start monitoring P25 trunks.

I cant find any ORDER in which to edit these text files.
What do you mean? Why does there need to be a specific order?

I see the SAMPLES for entering P25....like" P25, BEE11.123, 0, "Mulberry PS" OK so that goes into the SITELOADER file and freqs go into the dsdplus.P25data file. Thats as far as I can go without losing my place.

and also errors saying wrong syntax in the sitesloader file?????
I guess you didn't follow the site loader examples properly, but you haven't shown your work.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I started from scratch and was able to get things going. What makes it hard is the examples are easy to understand but trying to find some of the site ID's and that stuff on RR is a little hard. I neglected to clarify that my troubles were mostly getting the site loader to work. Typing CC into FMP24 always worked. Just getting the site loader screen to allow me to choose the different agencies to listen to.
The only system I keep getting errors on is the Naval Station Newport RI Naval base "Channel data missing" When I bring up the network/site loader, the Naval station newport text is all RED and wont start. I get error about channel data missing but cant figure it out. If I manually type the CC freq, 388.125 in the FMP24 it runs perfectly, so I know I am not editing one of those text files right. Its the site loader examples that are not clear to me. But I am sure I am missing something, cause the system runs fine when I type the CC in FMP24. In the "Siteloader" file here is how I have the Naval Base system entered: P25, BEE00.14C, 92, "Naval Satation-Newport, RI" Also pic below of the Frequencies file.

Attachments

• error2.png
    error2.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 29
  • error3.jpg
    error3.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

slicerwizard

What makes it hard is the examples are easy to understand but trying to find some of the site ID's and that stuff on RR is a little hard.
Eh? You just manually tune to a site and DSD+ displays all of that info at the bottom of the event log window.

When I bring up the network/site loader, the Naval station newport text is all RED and wont start. I get error about channel data missing but cant figure it out.

In the "Siteloader" file here is how I have the Naval Base system entered: P25, BEE00.14C, 92, "Naval Satation-Newport, RI"
The P25 examples look like this:

; examples:
;
; P25, BEE11.123, 0, "Mulberry PS"
; P25, BEE11.123, 1.1, "North"
; P25, BEE11.123, 2.2, "South"

Your entry doesn't match that format. The RFSS is missing. Might want to fix "Satation" while you're there.

Also pic below of the Frequencies file.
Stop putting P25 trunking frequencies in the .frequencies file.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK Got it. I am sorry I had trouble following all of this. My ADHD got me overthinking it too much. It would be MUCH easier to have step by step instructions for this. I tried following the examples but couldnt find some of the things needed like the rfss cause I dont know where to look. So actually the best way to do this is to MANUALLY type in the CC of the site you want to hear in FMP24. Then the needed data will be at bottom of event log window...OK I didnt know that. I am saving copies of all these text files in a safe place just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.