Help with EZ Scan Crash Mac/Parallels/Windows 11

DPJennings

Hi, I'm trying to install EZ Scan 2.50.0.692 on an M1 Mac with Parallels and Windows 11. It seems to install but when I run the program it crashes with an error message:

Error: Access violation at 0x09DF9D6B (tried to read from 0x000000088), program terminated.

I have tried changing the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and a few others but no luck.

Any help appreciated.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Have you tried running it as an Administrator from within Windows?

Edit: Well, that didn't work. I downloaded and installed then ran the TRX-1 version of EZ-Scan into my Windows 11 VM with Parallels on my M1Max MacBook Pro and got the same response as you.

It did however install and run on my Intel NUC under Windows 11 so it is probably an error out of Parallels or perhaps it is not able to run on ARM processors. I do not have a Windows on ARM machine to test that theory with.

Last edited:

DPJennings

Have you tried running it as an Administrator from within Windows?

Edit: Well, that didn't work. I downloaded and installed then ran the TRX-1 version of EZ-Scan into my Windows 11 VM with Parallels on my M1Max MacBook Pro and got the same response as you.

It did however install and run on my Intel NUC under Windows 11 so it is probably an error out of Parallels or perhaps it is not able to run on ARM processors. I do not have a Windows on ARM machine to test that theory with.
Thanks for the effort. I have a Windows box around here somewhere, guess I'll hook it up.

Kiniutech

Past login as: questnz
Premium Subscriber

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have Mac Air 2022 with an M2 chip, 16GB Ram running Parallels and Windows 11 ARM edition. You need Parallels ver 18.xx and above
Run Windows 11 ARM, Linux and Kali Linux
KB Parallels: Parallels Desktop and Mac with Apple M2 chip compatibility
Parallels Desktop for M Series Mac
You also may have to check Ezscan versions ?

Shouldbe be no problem to run Parallels on Macs with Intel chip
Running Windows is not an issue, and most programs work just fine. I too have an Apple Silicon (M1Max) Mac as does the OP. I am running the very latest version of Parallels (Currently 18.1.1) and the latest version of Windows for ARM.

I have run many Windows programs on my Mac this way, including ProScan, ARC-xx, Sentinel and programming software for Motorola, Anytone, Alinco and Icom stuff with no issues other than an intolerance for some older drivers on some serial devices.

I suspect we both would have the same problem with a true Windows machine on an ARM device.

See if you can run EZ-Scan on your M2, perhaps whatever was wrong has been fixed with a slightly newer processor series. You do not need a Whistler scanner to download and install the software. Go to TRX-1 Scanner Downloads and download the TRX-1 Install, run the installer and see if you get the same error.

Thanks!

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Error: Access violation at 0x09DF9D6B (tried to read from 0x000000088), program terminated.

Certainly not a Parallels, Mac, or Windows issue. This same error pukes out in VMWare and UTM virtual Win11 ARM machines as well. It's likely a call in the EZS application that the Windows ARM x86 emulator (necessary to run x86 code under ARM) does not like.

MS did a great job with the emulator Windows ARM needs to run x86 code, but it is not perfect.

Kiniutech

Past login as: questnz
Premium Subscriber
Running Windows is not an issue, and most programs work just fine. I too have an Apple Silicon (M1Max) Mac as does the OP. I am running the very latest version of Parallels (Currently 18.1.1) and the latest version of Windows for ARM.

I have run many Windows programs on my Mac this way, including ProScan, ARC-xx, Sentinel and programming software for Motorola, Anytone, Alinco and Icom stuff with no issues other than an intolerance for some older drivers on some serial devices.

I suspect we both would have the same problem with a true Windows machine on an ARM device.

See if you can run EZ-Scan on your M2, perhaps whatever was wrong has been fixed with a slightly newer processor series. You do not need a Whistler scanner to download and install the software. Go to TRX-1 Scanner Downloads and download the TRX-1 Install, run the installer and see if you get the same error.

Thanks!

I can confirm the same error on the M2 chip with Ezscan; maybe Whistler support can shine some light on the matter.
ps SDR software run OK communicating with Airspy2 + USB-C converter as long it is plugged in directly into Mac, not via USB-C Dock
I think Mac or Windows ARM recognizes the chip in the USB-C Dock (Ugreen) and nothing beyond

regards Chris

N9JIG

Sheriff
The software works fine on my older Intel based MacBook with an Intel chip in Parallels.

I have started a support ticket with Parallels and they are looking into this, their support team is great and have always been on top of issues. I also sent a Support request to Whistler and will report the findings.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Parallels Support checked and the TRX software does not work on ARM processors, even directly thru Windows. It would require an update from Whistler to make it work on an ARM device, either Apple Silicon or otherwise.

N9JIG

Sheriff
And Whistler Support has gotten back with me on this and is working on it. I shared the information from Parallels:

Hello Rich,

Thank you for the provided information and for your patience as we looked into this issue.

The Apple M1 chip has an ARM architecture (unlike the x86/x64 architecture typical of classic desktop processors) and in a virtual machine on a Mac with an M1 chip, it is currently possible to run only Windows ARM -- the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture (for example, it is used on devices with mobile chips like Microsoft Surface Pro X).

However, despite the built-in compatibility layer that allows you to run x86/x64 applications on Windows ARM, some applications do not work.
We've made some testing on both ARM Windows 11 virtual machines and again on a native ARM Windows laptop (Surface Pro X) and we got the same results.

It appears that this application doesn't fully support ARM architecture. Hence, its abnormal behavior.
We strongly recommend you contact EZ-Scan by Whistler Group’s application support and ask for further assistance from their end.

Should you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
--
AA

Parallels Customer Support Engineer

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I came here with the same problem with EZ Scan on a MacBook Air with M2. I guess as we wait to see if Whistler can do anything, I will use my Windows PC for the scanner.

techlogix

Premium Subscriber
I'm experiencing the same problem on my M2 Pro Macbook Pro running Parallels and Windows 11 Pro for ARM. So far it has been the only program that will not run for me. Proscan, ARC, Sentinel, and Unication PPS all work just fine on it.

onceways

Hi Folks - Just came across this thread after trying to get EZ Scan running on an M1, as anyone had any success yet?