Help With frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamchildress1

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have a UNIDEN HOME PATROL 1. I need help with some of my local area frequencies, When I try scanning my local Fire I hear no tones only en route on scene. I have searched all over for another code to no avail. My local SO channel works along with Ems. I also wanted to know if I should be using the output frequencies instead of the input. Hope you can help!

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
RadioReference on Facebook RadioReference on Twitter RadioReference Blog
The output frequencies you definitely want to use in most cases. That's probably one reason the input frequencies are often hidden unless you choose to show them on a PC. You will only receive the input frequencies if you are close to the transmitting party. The repeater frequency, AKA the output, is the frequency you want to monitor to hear the back and forth traffic.

It also sounds like you need to look at the manual for Service Types. You may have FD Dispatch or some of the similar types of services / channels turned off and that's why you're not hearing them. I recommend keeping all the types of channels turned on and then just locking out the ones you don't want to hear as you are listening. Once you get a little more used to the radio, then you might fool with some of the service type settings if there's anything you just don't want to hear. But that seems to be one of the number one problems people seem to have when learning to program or use one of the newer scanners.

Anyhow, good luck...

COMMSCAN[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

smithken

Premium Subscriber
It looks to me like you need to program 3 frequencies; 155.76, 154.19 and 155.345. I don't see any input frequencies in the database so I have to assume these are simplex frequencies (the input and output are the same) or they are output frequencies. In general you always want to monitor the output frequencies. The input frequencies are used by hand held transceivers or mobile transceivers which are low power, these are received by a repeater. The repeater then transmits the same message (repeats) on the output frequency at a much higher power so that more people can receive the transmission. Repeaters are usually located on a tall building or a hill/mountain so that it can receive better on the input frequency and its transmissions can be heard over a greater distance.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't program the PL tone at least not at first, if at all. The only time the PL tone might be useful is if there are multiple agencies using the same frequency, in that case each agency would have a different PL tone and you could use the PL tone to keep from hearing agencies you are not interested in. In your case I don't see anyone else using the 155.76 frequency so you will hear the same traffic whether you program the PL tone or not. If you do need the PL tone I would program the frequency without a PL tone at first to make sure you can receive what you want to receive then you can add the PL tone later if needed. 155.76 is the only frequency in the database with a PL tone, the other frequencies do not use a PL tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.