help with hf antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestallion

Hello everyone. I'm needing some help with antennas. I bought a icom 703 that came with antenna tuner, and a princeton antennas 80M dipole. Well The antenna is just too long for the space i have avaible. I'm looking at the ultimax end fed antennas on ebay and other is G5RV "Maple Leaf Mini" antenna. Was wondering if anyone has used either. I would be able to put these antennas up higher then my princeton antenna because i have more space. Thanks and 73s

LtDoc

Just keep in mind that all the 'compromise' antennas are just exactly that, a compromise. If one 'fits' your situation then I would have to say to try it. If that 'compromise' is 'livable' for you then good.
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you don't have enough horizontal you can go vertical, a dipole can become an inverted V if you have a place to hang the apex. Then you have the advantage, the figure 8 pattern tends to become omnidirectional. With that in mind consider the fact that long or short you won't have a NVIS radiator, or in English, a grass burner, worm warmer, etc.

Then you can go flat out vertical but that's another discussion... the world awaits you.

prcguy

An inverted V with an apex of about 35ft or less makes a fine NVIS antenna on 40/60/80m.

If you have the space for a 94ft horizontal antenna (or shorter in the inverted V config) look up the ZS6BKW which provides a good match without a tuner on 5 HF bands.
prcguy

If you don't have enough horizontal you can go vertical, a dipole can become an inverted V if you have a place to hang the apex. Then you have the advantage, the figure 8 pattern tends to become omnidirectional. With that in mind consider the fact that long or short you won't have a NVIS radiator, or in English, a grass burner, worm warmer, etc.

Then you can go flat out vertical but that's another discussion... the world awaits you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.