Help with Hold Vs. Delay time

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
I've got an 800 system with one site programmed by itself in my 996. What is the difference with hold time and delay time? Ultimately, I'd want it to hold on a talk group when someone calls dispatch to hear dispatch's response. Also, I had a problem with missing transmissions and being slow to aquire transmissions, and someone told me to turn the hold or delay time up really high, so that I don't miss anything. What do I need to do?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Delay = How long the scanner pauses on a channel after a transmission ends before resuming scanning.

Hold = How long the scanner continuously scans a system before moving to the next system.

For what you want, you need to adjust Delay.

ex8010

UPMan said:
Delay = How long the scanner pauses on a channel after a transmission ends before resuming scanning.

Hold = How long the scanner continuously scans a system before moving to the next system.

For what you want, you need to adjust Delay.

If I leave increase the hold time, would it increase the chance of me picking up activity on a system? and if I decrease the hold time would it decrease the chance?

ex: if i only listen to 10 talkgroups should i leave it on a shorter hold time than if I listen to 40?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In theory. But, it would, of course, decrease your chance to get a transmission on another system that doesn't have the long hold time. Most people just set the Hold time to 0, which results in the scanner hitting each channel in a conventional system 1 time, then moving to the next system. For trunked, it takes about 1-1.5 seconds to receive the first control channel sentence...and every sentence contains every active TG on the system, so holding longer is only a benefit if the TG you want to hear is about to become active when the scanner hits the system. Not really much of an advantage.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
UPMan said:
In theory. But, it would, of course, decrease your chance to get a transmission on another system that doesn't have the long hold time. Most people just set the Hold time to 0, which results in the scanner hitting each channel in a conventional system 1 time, then moving to the next system. For trunked, it takes about 1-1.5 seconds to receive the first control channel sentence...and every sentence contains every active TG on the system, so holding longer is only a benefit if the TG you want to hear is about to become active when the scanner hits the system. Not really much of an advantage.
But I'm only listening to:

1 system
1 site
1 control channel and 3 alternates in CC only mode.

I'm ID Scanning ~10 TGS. I want to hear the most I can on those talk groups. What should be my options for hold and delay?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are only scanning one system, hold time isn't very relevent. Most people set the delay to about 2. With delay you have to balance between missing a reply and missing comms on another TG.

There is no globally "best" setting. Much is subjective. Since you'll be scanning with this scanner for years, try a setting, then, if you don't like the results try another.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
UPMan said:
If you are only scanning one system, hold time isn't very relevent. Most people set the delay to about 2. With delay you have to balance between missing a reply and missing comms on another TG.

There is no globally "best" setting. Much is subjective. Since you'll be scanning with this scanner for years, try a setting, then, if you don't like the results try another.
So, I can have the hold time set to 0 or OFF then?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yep. If you are scanning 1 system, hold time doesn't affect much of anything. If you activate a 2nd system, then it means that the system set to 0 will stay on that system just long enough to get one update on which TG's are active. If none of those are one you have programmed into a channel, it will immediately go to the other system. Without an "other" system, it just goes back and gets the next update on the same system.

Status
Not open for further replies.