Help with hum please: Ground Loop Isolator stop hum

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

Try this.
Put the computer and the scanner on the same outlet strip and use an antenna connected to ONLY the scanner.

Put both the scanner and the computer on a non-conductive desk.

Is there still hum?

Disconnect any other connection to the computer or scanner.

yoopernewsman

That indicates that the hum is entering the system after the point where the volume is set.

It may help pin down the issue, it might not.

Do you have a voltmeter?
One problem solved.
Not sure how safe but think its ok.
I opened scanner - used a tack to complete circuit for audio (The feed jack muted speaker - by pushing down the contact).
The tack completes the circuit so now I can listen to audio on scanner speaker
BUT The big question now is what is quality of the feed - is there a hum for online listeners?
Would people listen to it?
******By the way - anyone who listens to my feed and hears NOAA weather radio - that means I am testing system.
After testing I change back to ambulance/fire/air frequencies.

Last edited:

yoopernewsman

Try this.
Put the computer and the scanner on the same outlet strip and use an antenna connected to ONLY the scanner.

Put both the scanner and the computer on a non-conductive desk.

Is there still hum?

Disconnect any other connection to the computer or scanner.
OK I will try this - two questions to make sure I understand
Question - computer is on table with heavy duty hard plastic top - but does have metal legs.
Is that OK
Or do I need to find a all wood desk.

Second question - you said:
"Disconnect any other connection to the computer or scanner."

Are you talking about speakers? What is considered a connection.

fyi - scanner only has the the plug-in antenna - and power plug - nothing else connected.

I will buy new strip - and test this.

fyi - It appears the feed has that bad hum - I listened to my feed online - not so bad when I had constant talk from NOAA Wx Radio but now that it is scanning with no talk - hum is very noticeable.

again - sorry my questions are so rudimentary.

Now that I connected the earplug jack so audio loop is completed (not muted by jack) - I can listen to it on scanner speaker with no hum.

But that doesn't help online listeners

N

N_Jay

The desk sounds fine.

Disconnect anything that can not sit on the table and be plugged into the same outlet strip.

The more things you can switch over to battery power, the more things you can test.

You are looking for the connections (like external antenna) that add or eliminate hum when connected or disconnected.

bline

Bline,
see my answer to Mike Tindor
Do you agree with radio shack guy (see my answer)
Again I am truly thankful for all the help - but can't afford to keep buying stuff unless there is a chance it will work.

I can't say I agree or disagree, although if it were a Radioshack near me, I would disagree. ;)

The other thing I did is mute anything that wasn't necessary for me to hear the feed over the internet. I did this using the master volume settings in the control panel.

If all else fails I'll be in the UP in October...

Status
Not open for further replies.