Help with ICOM 2200H

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayFD61

So I am completely lost with programming this thing... I was told I would be able to use this for the fire service but I can't figure out how to program the repeater frequencies, It just gives me the -/+ how ever many hx it will go to the repeater freq to transmit on, only problem is they are all + the recieve freq is and it only gives me the option for -. what do i need to do to get it to the plus side? Other then that I have it all figured out but if I can't get this repeater thing figured out the my radio is useless... Thanx

fineshot1

So I am completely lost with programming this thing... I was told I would be able to use this for the fire service but I can't figure out how to program the repeater frequencies,

Whoever told you it could be used for fire service frequencies was in error.

This is an amateur radio and not programmable for commercial service except for receive purposes.

ClayFD61

I am able to transmit on those freq no problem... I also am having a problem with the cable and driver for the USB I can't get it to work and i have tried 5 different computers... so I am not even able to use the software...

alanc

Great radio i have one ,,sorry can't help you ,i program manually ,,,VA2AIC

fineshot1

I am able to transmit on those freq no problem... I also am having a problem with the cable and driver for the USB I can't get it to work and i have tried 5 different computers... so I am not even able to use the software...

If that is true then the radio has been illegally modified to transmit "out of band".

ClayFD61

fineshot1

Yeah thats what I'm saying, I just got it UPS today, just go on the there website and click on any of the amateur radios and there is a modification option u can pick, it shows right on the page with the radio...

ICOM 2200H ICOM 2200H VHF Two Way Mobile Radio [2200H] : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

in the freq range area and such it says right there and there is a link at the top of the picture of the radio and also a drop down option toward the button on the page...

Holy crap - you are correct and its right on their web site. They state it is a Mars/CAP mod
but its for 136-174Mhz TX range. That is insane !! They are taking a big chance by putting
that on their web site. That is a major NoNo per the fcc.

ClayFD61

Holy crap - you are correct and its right on their web site. They state it is a Mars/CAP mod
but its for 136-174Mhz TX range. That is insane !! They are taking a big chance by putting
that on their web site. That is a major NoNo per the fcc.

See I wouldn't lie.. lol I guess it doesnt matter cause I cant figure the thing out anyway I'm very frustrated... If I could even just get the USB cable and driver working I would be happy.... I don't know what Mars/CAP is... I don't know anything about amateur radio stuff.. Always planned on doing the class just haven't gotten to it yet...

coulterman17

I would say the computer programming isnt working because you are trying to program a repeater offset out of the normal transmiting range and its not recognizing it. It can be easily programmed manually if you have the knowledge to do so. I wont give the steps how to, as you have already been told its illegal to do so. You would be better off selling it and spending that money on a commercial grade radio.

N0IU

I don't know what Mars/CAP is...
MARS is the Military Affiliate Radio Service. They use HF and VHF frequencies near ham band to forward personal messages to/from military personnel. Very useful during major mobilization like we are seeing now.

CAP is Civil Air Patrol. Part youth group and part domestic search and rescue auxiliary for the Air Force. They also use frequencies near ham band, and ham volunteers, to coordinate search activities and relay messsages.

The mods you referred to are only authorized for those formally affiliated with one or the other organization, and the frequencies are for official use only.

Modifying a rig for these frequencies is perfectly legal, but using them if you are not affiliated with those groups is not.

I am sorry to say that if you bought the radio with the intention of using it for anything other than amateur, MARS or CAP, you have wasted your money. Although I doubt it will happen, you might try to get your money back from the Antenna Farm. I have not bought anything from them, but from what I understand, the do not exactly have a stellar reputation when it comes to customer service from what I have read on some of these forums.

ClayFD61

Yes I am def. with a fire dept so i have permission to use all the channels I am programming just having trouble with the repeater function. I still can't get the computer pc programming software to work so i am tring to program it all manually, the only problem is I get it programmed and then if i change the channel it resets back to whatever setting it was at before i set the repeater.... Also is there a way to set a prio. ch in the channel scan function? Everytime i try to set a prio. ch it goes to VFO mode and only scans the VFO channel and whatever channel it was on when i hit the prio ch. Thanx everyone for the help..

ffemt601

Yes I am def. with a fire dept so i have permission to use all the channels I am programming just having trouble with the repeater function. I still can't get the computer pc programming software to work so i am tring to program it all manually, the only problem is I get it programmed and then if i change the channel it resets back to whatever setting it was at before i set the repeater.... Also is there a way to set a prio. ch in the channel scan function? Everytime i try to set a prio. ch it goes to VFO mode and only scans the VFO channel and whatever channel it was on when i hit the prio ch. Thanx everyone for the help..

Clay you aren't understanding the other posts in this thread. It is illegal for you to transmit with a 2200H on your fire department frequency. You as well as your department are subject to legal action from the FCC for such action. I strongly suggest you return the radio to Antenna Farm and purchase a radio that is in fact licensed for commercial communications.

Once again it is illegal to use a amateur radio to transmit on your fire department frequencies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I still can't get the computer pc programming software to work so i am tring to program it all manually,..

The software may not recognize the radio because the radio has been modified.

like others have said over and over, return it and put that money towards a proper commercial radio, that is legal for the channels you are going to use it for.

ClayFD61

Ok well that all really sucks, cause someone like myself that is in the fire service goes to a web site looks at a radio and say ok that will work, and im not use to not being able to use a radio for whatever, becuase i dont have anything telling me im not allowed to use a certian radio.... and of course they dont advertise that on the website, i know several people in the county i work with are looking at the same radio because we dont know any better.... jw y is it illegal for fire and ems personal to transmit on those freq using a amatuer radio?? cause i guess we dont know any better whether its ok or not... thanks for all the help everyone...looks like i am going to have to take a amatuer radio class so i know the rules....

ffemt601

Ok well that all really sucks, cause someone like myself that is in the fire service goes to a web site looks at a radio and say ok that will work, and im not use to not being able to use a radio for whatever, becuase i dont have anything telling me im not allowed to use a certian radio.... and of course they dont advertise that on the website, i know several people in the county i work with are looking at the same radio because we dont know any better.... jw y is it illegal for fire and ems personal to transmit on those freq using a amatuer radio?? cause i guess we dont know any better whether its ok or not... thanks for all the help everyone...looks like i am going to have to take a amatuer radio class so i know the rules....

Its illegal because to transmit in that frequency spectrum the radio has to be certified by the FCC as an accepted device for said frequency. Commercial frequencies are covered under CFR 47 Part 90 and the radio must have a sticker on it indicating FCC certification to Part 90. However, amateur radios are classified under CFR 47 Part 97 and thus their use on frequencies covered under Part 90 is illegal.

As noted above, the rules have nothing to do with amateur radio, but instead the Part 90 rules pertaining to the frequency in which you want to transmit.

ClayFD61

OK so with everyone stating my radio was illegel instead of sending it back i had the modification taken off and am just going to take an amatuer radio class to get my license, but i do have freq programmed in there to get some use out of it till i can actually use it... One question i do have is i leave it on scan and i notice when it stops on a freq because someone is talking instead of it staying on the freq until they are done it will start scanning again and then usually go back to the same channel it just was on but sometimes it gets stopped on a new freq that someone else is talking on, is there a way to stop that from happening and for it not to start scanning until they are done talking?? that would be very helpful.. Thanx

N0IU

Look on Page 42 of your users manual where it talks about "Scan resume condition". You can set the pause time (the amount of time it stops to listen on a particular frequency) to 5, 10, 15 seconds or until the signal disappears and then resumes 2 seconds later.

Status
Not open for further replies.