help with icom 706

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestallion

I'm going to be putting the radio in the trunk so its close to tuner. and when running power back to the radio, should i run a ground and power wire, or just run the power wire and put the ground wire to body ground? this is my 1st time putting radio in trunk area. didnt know what anyone else out there did. 73s

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Run both positive and negative, as uncut as possible. Doing it the other way could cause a floating ground.

Robinsmark

Remote Mount IC706

I'm going to be putting the radio in the trunk so its close to tuner. and when running power back to the radio, should i run a ground and power wire, or just run the power wire and put the ground wire to body ground? this is my 1st time putting radio in trunk area. didnt know what anyone else out there did. 73s

Run BOTH wires all the way back to the battery! Yeah its a pain I know, but in the long run it will save you a lot of grief, and will work MUCH BETTER this way. 73

ka8ypy

If you use a factory ground in the trunk you will have no issues what so ever. If you do run the ground to the battery fuse it and the + as close to the battery as possible. The reason to fuse the ground wire when run to the battery is to prevent the radio from becoming the chasis ground for the battery on start-up if the regular chasis battery ground should fail.

In 1000+ radio installs (commercial, amateur, etc.) using the factory ground has never caused an issue over running the ground to the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.