Kenwood: Help with Kenwood TM-D710

Stealther-TX

Hopefully this is just something I’m overlooking but I’m having issues with the mic. The problems I’m having are:

1. Mic does not transmit when the transmit key is pressed. The keypad lights up red but no transmission is initiated.

2. The keypad on the mic is not functional UNLESS the transmit key is depressed. Then the buttons work but still no transmission is made.

3. Mic Keypad illumination is not working other than when the transmit key is pressed.

Is there a mic lockout that I could have initiated? I’ve checked the settings under Aux and no lockout is activated.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide!

n5ims

A couple of other points to consider:

* The keypad buttons have two modes, one when transmitting (will send the associated DTMF tone) and another mode when PTT is not pressed (perform various functions, generally duplicating the buttons on the head to make them a bit more convenient).

* The D710 has an issue with the microphone jack where you can easily stress it when pulling the mic away from the base unit. This can damage either the jack, microphone plug, or both. My experience is that this will cause noise on your transmissions, bad audio, or other issues. I replaced the jack and still had issues and then replaced the microphone with the later version. The new mic didn't work until I read that while that version is compatible, you might have to upgrade the radio firmware to get it to work. Upgraded the firmware and have had no issues since.