Help with Langley monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I just started delving into monitoring the military frequencies in the newport news area. I programmed the Langley AFB frequencies into my scanner and have found that I am getting some type of interference both on 122.900 (Langley Approach) and 125.000 (Langley Tower). In order to eliminate the interference, I either need to lock those frequencies out or turn the squelch up really high to the point that I basically and eliminating myself from hearing anything at all. Has anyone else had a similar problem with these two frequencies? Are these two frequencies the active frequencies for Langley?

Also, can any one recommend some "hot" military frequencies in the HR area? My listening is sort of limited to only the Newport News area due antenna restrictions, but any frequency suggestions are appreciated.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Greetings,

I just started delving into monitoring the military frequencies in the newport news area. I programmed the Langley AFB frequencies into my scanner and have found that I am getting some type of interference both on 122.900 (Langley Approach) and 125.000 (Langley Tower). In order to eliminate the interference, I either need to lock those frequencies out or turn the squelch up really high to the point that I basically and eliminating myself from hearing anything at all. Has anyone else had a similar problem with these two frequencies? Are these two frequencies the active frequencies for Langley?
Can your scanner program 395.0 and 253.5?

Also, can any one recommend some "hot" military frequencies in the HR area? My listening is sort of limited to only the Newport News area due antenna restrictions, but any frequency suggestions are appreciated.
Depending on what part of NN, you should get all NAS Norfolk coms Norfolk Naval Air Station Chambers Field Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
and all Ft Eustis coms. Ft Eustis Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

wfs29223

Blocked?

Just a thought. Could these freqs be blocked for security reasons? But then again if they wanted those freqs to be secure Im sure they would have made them digital and all kinds of encryption. Just a thought.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Can your scanner program 395.0 and 253.5?

I do have those two frequencies programmed. Perhaps because my scanner keeps hanging on either of the other two giving interference, I am just missing any comms on those two frequencies. It is hard for me to tell because I just have an indoor antenna, so I might just not be able to grab any of the signals indoors. I am not far from Langley though, so I should be able to get something, if even a weak signal. I will try permanently locking out the trouble frequencies to see if I can come up with anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, I should definitely be able to get Ft. Eustis so I will give them a shot.
Also, do any of the Navy/Coast Guard ships use conventional frequencies for comms, or are they all mainly satcoms?

Thanks again for the help, I finally got a USB-1 wire to program my 996t, so it's like buying a new scanner all over again :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I do have those two frequencies programmed. Perhaps because my scanner keeps hanging on either of the other two giving interference, I am just missing any comms on those two frequencies. It is hard for me to tell because I just have an indoor antenna, so I might just not be able to grab any of the signals indoors. I am not far from Langley though, so I should be able to get something, if even a weak signal. I will try permanently locking out the trouble frequencies to see if I can come up with anything.
You can also try attenuating the two offenders.

Also, do any of the Navy/Coast Guard ships use conventional frequencies for comms, or are they all mainly satcoms?
Both will use Marine band navigation channels during movements in the area. and Coast Guard Portsmouth is full time on the emergency frequencies of same band channels 21, 22, 81, 82 and 16.

I live across the creek on the Crittenden Peninsula of North East Suffolk and use a Scantenna with a multi cable switch running 4 scanners. With this setup I can monitor most Mil Air traffic in area, includeing Giant Killer Ops.

You can also try some of these frequencies from RR Wiki Delmarva Milcom Quick List - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.