Help with local scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD536HP scanner, I have had it for a couple years and quit using it because I could not get any of our local county stuff, I can get our State Police pretty much statewide but I was wanting our local police, school district and city departments, but I cannot get these, I just updated my firmware and no difference. If our local stuff is still analog will I not be able to pick these up ? I live in south central Illinois any help will be appreciated . I posted this under Uniden and then realized I probably should have started here

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
155.43000WQAX929 RM 162.2 PL JasprSheriff Sheriff: Dispatch FMN Law Dispatch 156.06750WQAX929 M CSQ JasprShrf MX Sheriff: Mobile Extenders (to 155.43R) FMN Law Dispatch 173.31250WQAX929 M Jspr Law MX Sheriff: Mobile Extenders FMN Law Dispatch 155.11500WQPP949 RM Jasper EMA EMA (Newton) FMN Emergency Ops 453.05000WQPP949 F 532 DPL Jasp EMA ST EMA: Remote Link (at Saint Marie) FMN Emergency Ops 453.92500WQPP949 F 250.3 PL Jasp EMA Hid EMA: Remote Link (at Hidalgo) FMN Emergency Ops 460.38750WQPP949 F Jasp EMA Teu EMA: Remote Link (at Teutopolis) FMN Emergency Ops 465.55000WQPP949 F Jasp EMA Nwt EMA: Remote Link (at Newton) FMN Emergency Ops 151.05500WQMN370 RM Jasper Fire Fire: Dispatch/Paging/Fireground FMN Fire Dispatch 154.43000WPWR417 BM 131.8 PL Jasper*Fire Fire: Countywide Dispatch -- Yale, Hidalgo, Newton Fire, Wade Township-(Newton, Willow Hill (Wade Township License) FMN Fire Dispatch 453.36250WPUL286 RM Jas Fire RF Fire: Remote Links (St. Marie, Valemeyer) FMN Fire Dispatch 155.92500WQCE645 BM JasperHealth Health Department (Newton) FMN Public Works 158.80500WPWC248 BM Jas Highway1 Highway Department FMN Public Works 159.13500KRC691 BM 315 DPL Jas Highway2 Highway Department

These are just some of them, they all have FMN after them, hope this is what you mean

phask

Premium Subscriber
Actually, need your state and county, but decoding your list above.

The sheriff is on a NEXDN system
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8370

A lot of those you post are not on the conventional but one of the trunked systems.

NXDN requires purchasing the NXDN upgrade.

Ok - ignore - one of those returned to Jasper MO - might be a FCC error or RR error.
If that is correct they should all enter as conventional, but why not just try the built-in database? Should all be in there.

Last edited:

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
Does FNM mean analog ? and if so will my Uniden 536hp pick these up ? I pushed the zip code button it asked me for my zip and it loaded the full data base but still all I get is district 12 state police, I am not opposed to getting an analog scanner for all the local stuff, just want to make sure I need one

mule1075

Feed Provider
Does FNM mean analog ? and if so will my Uniden 536hp pick these up ? I pushed the zip code button it asked me for my zip and it loaded the full data base but still all I get is district 12 state police, I am not opposed to getting an analog scanner for all the local stuff, just want to make sure I need one
It will pick them up no need to buy a Analog scanner. Check and see if all the service types you want to listen to are enabled and more than likely you need to update the database.

Last edited:

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
ok what do you mean by service type enabled ? I sure do appreciate all the help, I bought the scanner from Zip scanners and they were suppose to set it up for me so I just figured everything was right

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
I made sure the service types were turned on, i've updated my firmware, downloaded the new Sentinel and updated my scanner and all I still get is Starcom21 statewide Illinois P25, it will scan everything but can not hear anything, not sure what to think, I will try again in the morning when I am sure people are on but I have had it on all day before and never heard anything except district 12 state police, If anyone thinks of anything let me know.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok what do you mean by service type enabled ? I sure do appreciate all the help, I bought the scanner from Zip scanners and they were suppose to set it up for me so I just figured everything was right
Make sure that you have the latest database on your scanner. Have you updated Sentinel to the latest information? Look in the lower left corner of the main Sentinel window. The date you see there is the database version in Sentinel. Current is 02/10/2019.

To check which version you have in the scanner:
Press the Menu key
Scroll down to Manage Full Database and press E/yes to select
Scroll down & select Information
Press E/yes to select it
The database version's date will be shown.

If it is significantly out of date, be sure to update the database in Sentinel than write that update to the scanner.

MANUAL

SEE "SERVICE TYPES"
For Service Types, be sure that you have the Tac and Talk types for Law, Fire, EMS, and Multi enabled, in addition to the default Dispatch type. In other words, besides Law Dispatch, Law Tac and Law Talk should be enabled. The same goes for Fire, EMS, & Multi.

Besides Service types, also verify what range you selected.

Which antenna are you using? The back of the set antenna that came with the scanner? And what is your Squelch set to? Usually 2 or 3 works well for most people.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Those are indeed the correct frequencies as this is what is being scanned on the live audio feed for your area:
Jasper County Sheriff Dispatch 155.43000 Mhz
Jasper County Fire Dispatch 151.05500 Mhz
Newton Police Dept Dispatch 154.75500 Mhz

Try putting those frequencies in directly without a PL and see if you hear anything then perhaps. Maybe the PL is incorrect in the database?

Or, try clicking the "ZIP" button, enter your zip code, and scan the full database which will load in the frequencies for your area. (EDIT: I see that you already tried that)

Only other thing I can think of is that if you aren't super close to a tower site for those frequencies and are just using a little antenna on the back of the radio, especially if you are in the middle of a building or house, you may just not be getting enough signal. I'm kind of grasping at straws, I know haha.

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
I have 02/03/2019 for database version, I have tac and talk for law but for fire it won't let me do anything it just has :--- and will not let me turn on or off I am using the antenna on the back of the scanner but I live at the edge of town so the local city police and city workers are never more than a mile from me and squelch set on 2

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I have 02/03/2019 for database version, I have tac and talk for law but for fire it won't let me do anything it just has :--- and will not let me turn on or off I am using the antenna on the back of the scanner but I live at the edge of town so the local city police and city workers are never more than a mile from me and squelch set on 2
So, if I understand correctly, it won't let you turn on most of the service types, correct? The most important ones to have enabled are Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, and EMS dispatch. Otherwise, you won't be hear all that much.

This is what the service types menu should look like:

The only ones that should have :--- should be the "custom" service types.

Lockandload

Premium Subscriber
the ones that have the :--- are EMS talk, Fire Tac, Fire talk, and then ones like aircraft, Business, corection,Federal, and a whole bunch more

RMason

Premium Subscriber
If a Service Type is unavailable to be selected (—-) that means there are no channels with that Service Type programmed in the selected scan lists.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm... something definitely isn't right then... you should have all or at least most of those. For my area, every service type is available to turn off and on.

If you want, I can make up a programming file for your county for you to try out. That's all I can think to try.

K9JLR

I would recommend directly programming these systems into the scanner, just in case you are missing something trying to scan a specific location from the national database. You stated that you have Sentinel; there are private software programs available that may be more user friendly. You can find demonstration videos on YouTube that succinctly demonstrate how to directly program systems in the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.